What's new

Farm field finds any idea what they are??

Dirt fishing Wolf

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2009
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
528
Golden Thread
0
Location
G P, Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Todays finds were a day of twos, iron blades, brass or copper latches or maybe clock parts, and
2 half round things with a hole at one end, when I put the two of these together they look like
a top for a post and maybe held together with something wrapped around the groove. Thanks
for looking. DFW

DSCN0499.webp
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0500.webp
    DSCN0500.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 670
  • DSCN0504.webp
    DSCN0504.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 680
  • DSCN0505.webp
    DSCN0505.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 674
  • DSCN0499.webp
    DSCN0499.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 659
  • DSCN0500.webp
    DSCN0500.webp
    41.5 KB · Views: 670
  • DSCN0501.webp
    DSCN0501.webp
    28.8 KB · Views: 656
  • DSCN0502.webp
    DSCN0502.webp
    40.2 KB · Views: 663
  • DSCN0505.webp
    DSCN0505.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 658
  • DSCN0504.webp
    DSCN0504.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 667
  • DSCN0503.webp
    DSCN0503.webp
    28.2 KB · Views: 660
Steel plow pieces and the 2 piece item looks like some sort of pulley
 
Upvote 0
The iron pieces look like broken bush hog blades. The things in pics 2 &3 look like parts from an electrical box? The last two I think are insulators for an electric fence. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
The iron pieces look like broken bush hog blades. The things in pics 2 &3 look like parts from an electrical box? The last two I think are insulators for an electric fence. Tony
I concur. If I recall correctly, I think the split insulators were meant for corner posts... But, I have been wrong before.
 
Upvote 0
kc7rad said:
Tony in SC said:
The iron pieces look like broken bush hog blades. The things in pics 2 &3 look like parts from an electrical box? The last two I think are insulators for an electric fence. Tony
I concur. If I recall correctly, I think the split insulators were meant for corner posts... But, I have been wrong before.
Thanks for your input guys. The insulator looking things are brass. The homesite where I found these was gone before 1926
plat was published and was on the 1899 plat.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with you on pics. 2&3.As being some part of a latch or door knob part.Here's a couple I've found from 1800's home sites.And I've never looked into it, but was my first thought when i found mine.
Take Care,
Pete :hello:
 

Attachments

  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    53.9 KB · Views: 461
Upvote 0
They are the bolt/latches/locks for these types of door knobs (Rim lock door knobs fixtures).The V shaped part is were the skeleton key fit into the the piece to slide the part back and forth to lock or unlock. :thumbsup:
 

Attachments

  • 385483058ec357056176c8551a073921.image.300x300[1].webp
    385483058ec357056176c8551a073921.image.300x300[1].webp
    18 KB · Views: 418
Upvote 0
Could be from mortise locks too. Can't tell the insides of one from the other unless you have a perfect match still in the lock case.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Interesting, I found something very close to what you found in pix 2 and 3. Very heavy, and found in a farm area, where an old log cabin was located.
Good luck,
Bunker
 

Attachments

  • lockpart2.webp
    lockpart2.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 376
  • lockpart1.webp
    lockpart1.webp
    37.5 KB · Views: 374
  • Lockpart3.webp
    Lockpart3.webp
    50.6 KB · Views: 361
  • Lockpart4.webp
    Lockpart4.webp
    26.7 KB · Views: 369
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • mortise latch.webp
    mortise latch.webp
    29 KB · Views: 310
  • mortise deadbolt.webp
    mortise deadbolt.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 306
Upvote 0
I know I have seen that split round piece before but I cant place it. :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
I know I have seen that split round piece before but I cant place it. :icon_scratch:
Yea I said rim lock but it could be either.I mainly said that because when I was young the house I grew up in had them all though it bedrooms,bathrooms,halls,kitchen.You know the kind of house I'm talking tongue & groove walls big wooden doors.Anyway the front & back main doors were the only ones with the mortise locks.So I was just thinking there would be more of a chance for a rim lock type to be found at least here in my area.(more homes were set up that way around here).
Take Care,
Pete :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom