What's new

Farm sale, years ago.

Blackfoot58

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2023
Messages
6,193
Reaction score
15,844
Golden Thread
0
Location
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A forum recently had a neat find; a warming plate that held 3 flatirons. I thought I would post this, from my collection. It allowed for steam ironing, and I guess was quite a luxury in the day. My wife had shown no interest in borrowing it.😄
 

Attachments

  • 7FDBF13E-F4B8-4AAF-97AD-28280DAD47D7.webp
    7FDBF13E-F4B8-4AAF-97AD-28280DAD47D7.webp
    987.1 KB · Views: 80
My wife's grandmother gave us a couple flat irons which work well as door stops.
65 years ago, I would hold an electric iron in one hand and a water squeeze bottle in the other to do my ironing.
Yes, I had to iron my own shirts and pants. Ever heard of pant stretchers (to be used after ironing?)
Talk about 'old school'......
Don in SoCal
 
My wife's grandmother gave us a couple flat irons which work well as door stops.
65 years ago, I would hold an electric iron in one hand and a water squeeze bottle in the other to do my ironing.
Yes, I had to iron my own shirts and pants. Ever heard of pant stretchers (to be used after ironing?)
Talk about 'old school'......
Don in SoCal
Yep. Wire frames that went in the pants.
 
I remember the days when any decent hotel you stayed in had a 'Corby Electric Trouser Press' in the room. They still make them, but I haven't seen one in a hotel room (or anywhere else for that matter) in yonks.
 
... and Margaret Thatcher (remember her... our 'Iron Lady' Prime Minister)?

I remember seeing a press interview with her husband Dennis, during which he was cheekily asked: "So, who wears the trousers in your house?", to which he replied without hesitation: "I do... and not only that, I wash and iron them too!"
 
I remember handheld steam wands in some motel rooms. They were to take out wrinkles without ironing. Also Magic Fingers vibrating beds; at 25 cents per turn!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom