pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm dumb. What is FE-CO? I can tell you real buckles are worth a lot!
Copper-Iron Alloys: Copper-iron (CuFe) master alloys offer high tensile strength, corrosion resistance and high thermal conductivity as well high electrical conductivity. This master alloy is used as a grain refiner when added into other copper alloys such as aluminum bronze and brass alloys.:dontknow::laughing7::coffee2:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
etrac-target-card-sheet-jpg.1269445

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm dumb. What is FE-CO? I can tell you real buckles are worth a lot!
it is how the Etrack and CTX display their VDI or TID numbers. It is a grid 50 across and 30 down. Gives you a better idea of Tar get ID than the standard linear ID spreads like on most detector. As an example the AT Pro, Simplex, 600, 800 etc.
FE rates the ferrous properties and CO rates the conductive properties of the target below the coil.

The minelab Etrack and CTX3030 using this TID system have a reputation for very good visual target identification. This is good for people like me with some high frequency hearing loss that has a hard time with listening to the subtle tones or changes in tones to ID targets. Main reason I sold my 800 and bought a CTX3030 recently.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
it is how the Etrack and CTX display their VDI or TID numbers. It is a grid 50 across and 30 down. Gives you a better idea of Tar get ID than the standard linear ID spreads like on most detector. As an example the AT Pro, Simplex, 600, 800 etc.
FE rates the ferrous properties and CO rates the conductive properties of the target below the coil.

The minelab Etrack and CTX3030 using this TID system have a reputation for very good visual target identification. This is good for people like me with some high frequency hearing loss that has a hard time with listening to the subtle tones or changes in tones to ID targets. Main reason I sold my 800 and bought a CTX3030 recently.
From running the Explorer series (Explorer, SE, ETrac, CTX) I have discovered that they love iron-even though the screen is screaming non-ferrous. :laughing7:
Now put a hole in that piece of iron and it becomes a real nice sounding item
Can't deny the depth capabilities of the 3030 over other machines.
Try training the ears instead of the eyes-that advice was given to me 13+yrs ago, and old habits are hard to break.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pepper, tried on the 800 to train my ears for 50 tones. But I think some of my high freq hearing loss makes that not so easy for me. Hence the move to the CTX for the additional visual aids in target ID.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an 800 and also have a lot of hearing loss. I'm having trouble finding much with the 800. What you describe is something to think about. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I kept hearing a lot of experienced 800 users keep telling me and others to use your ears and use 50 tones.
Well for the life of me I could not really tell what they were talking about when trying to use 50 tones. I could hear things seemingly ok, but apparently you have to have good hearing to get the subtle differences.

After 3 years with the 800 I began to wonder and kept reading good things about the CTX3030's visual display.
Now I have a CTX3030. Only had it a week, but love it. On the first hunt in a very trashy park that I have hunted for 6 years, 3 with AT Pro and 3 with Nox 800 I discovered the uniqueness of the CTX.

Dug 6 targets. All were good coin targets and I knew that before I dug. Another good target turned out to be a gold plated ladies swiss pendant watch. The only junk I dug was a spent .22 bullet. I used a standard coin program that I entered from Andy Sabisch's CTX3030 book. Good book by the way. Much, much better than his book on the 800.

The CTX3030 does take some learning of features that the 800 does not have. But learning the 800 makes learning the CTX3030 much easier in my opinion.

I got my brand new (but was in a box in a closet for 4 years) for $1,400. It qualified for a full 3 year warranty and I registered it. I feel like I got a great deal. I will be using the Pro-swing 45 swing harness. It is very well balanced, but it still is 5.2 lbs.

Of course this is only the 1st week. Pretty sure I need to put 50 - 100 hours on this baby to master it and get the use of its full potential. I hunt coins in trashy urban parks and civil war relics in trashy urban Atlanta areas. And with the 800 I dug lots of trash. Even more than the AT Pro I believe. As you know the 800 is a hot detector, but to make it quieter you pretty much have to drop the sensitivity which reduces your depth which precludes older coins.

On youtube watch monster tube and nwga metal detecting they are respectively IDXmonster and rattlehead on friendly metal detecting and i guess other md forums. I hope this helps you.
John

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
anyone know the FE-CO values for various Civil War relics?

Especially union or confederate belt buckles.

Just got a new CTX3030.
I've found CW Bullets from 12:07 to 12:37. Depending on the normal variables and ground conditions. Found 2 Union Sword Belt plates that both hit between 12:38 to 12:42. Happy Hunting!!!

Back to the Equinox/CTX. I have a CTX. I've had it since 09. I was interested in the Nox800 for the features and a lighter machine. After I set the Equinox up to 5 tone and a custom Hunt program, I found an 1827 Silver Mexican 1 Reale at
8 1/2-9" in a field where Union troops had camped during the Civil War. I pulled out about 5 pieces of nails and small iron before I got to the coin. It started at a 15 and ended up a 28 after I got the iron out of the way.

My point being, and I know everyone has their own opinions, but I had swung over this area many times with the CTX, with all the coils, even the 17". On the other hand I was getting .58cals at 16" with the 17" coil. This was the first of about 4 Silver coins pulled out of 1 field and 3 yards that I had previously hunted with the CTX. All of them with loads of small iron.

The Equinox in My opinion, once learned stands right up with The CTX!

Attachments

• 14FE2E40-37C4-404D-A006-4232783E2796.jpeg
    14FE2E40-37C4-404D-A006-4232783E2796.jpeg
    957.2 KB · Views: 28
  • A28226E1-F6E8-44E1-8702-263A9BFD9228.jpeg
    A28226E1-F6E8-44E1-8702-263A9BFD9228.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 24
  • 989103D1-29CD-444F-89DB-64EAFC5EEA81.jpeg
    989103D1-29CD-444F-89DB-64EAFC5EEA81.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found CW Bullets from 12:07 to 12:37. Depending on the normal variables and ground conditions. Found 2 Union Sword Belt plates that both hit between 12:38 to 12:42. Happy Hunting!!!

Back to the Equinox/CTX. I have a CTX. I've had it since 09. I was interested in the Nox800 for the features and a lighter machine. After I set the Equinox up to 5 tone and a custom Hunt program, I found an 1827 Silver Mexican 1 Reale at
8 1/2-9" in a field where Union troops had camped during the Civil War. I pulled out about 5 pieces of nails and small iron before I got to the coin. It started at a 15 and ended up a 28 after I got the iron out of the way.

My point being, and I know everyone has their own opinions, but I had swung over this area many times with the CTX, with all the coils, even the 17". On the other hand I was getting .58cals at 16" with the 17" coil. This was the first of about 4 Silver coins pulled out of 1 field and 3 yards that I had previously hunted with the CTX. All of them with loads of small iron.

The Equinox in My opinion, once learned stands right up with The CTX!
thanks for the reply. When hunting relics on my CTX I will be pretty much using a relic pattern that is pretty much open. I don't see any other way around it. Of course that is my problem that my civil war hunt area is in urban Atlanta an lots of modern trash. Again, don't see any other way to hunt this area unless I have a restrictive pattern letting only 3 ringers and sword belt plates and buckles through the pattern. It might be the only thing to do along with an area to let iron through. Definitely not as easy as hunting silver coins and the 800 could do that pretty easy.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the reply. When hunting relics on my CTX I will be pretty much using a relic pattern that is pretty much open. I don't see any other way around it. Of course that is my problem that my civil war hunt area is in urban Atlanta an lots of modern trash. Again, don't see any other way to hunt this area unless I have a restrictive pattern letting only 3 ringers and sword belt plates and buckles through the pattern. It might be the only thing to do along with an area to let iron through. Definitely not as easy as hunting silver coins and the 800 could do that pretty easy.
As I have done In the past is set up for bullets and buckles and once I've cleaned the area of items in that range, including trash, I'd open it up a little more each time removing more of what I had discriminated out each time a little by little. This kept it from being so overwhelming with the CTX. When You're hunting with it and it sounds like a machine gun, it's easy to ignore stuff. Give it some time and practice, and You'll do good in Your search!! Happy Hunting!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread