What's new

Fees..... and a few questions about road trips....

placerman

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
286
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I was notified today that I will have to start paying a fee for each box of halves I buy. Ive been expecting this for around a month since the head teller mentioned it but now that it has come I cant say I am very happy about it.

My dump bank mentioned a per bag fee when I started using them, but so far they haven't assessed any fees. I figure it cant be too much longer before they start charging me a few dollars to process a bag of halves as well. All I can say is if they charge me per bag, I am going to be stuffing that bag as full as I can get it....lol

Ive been putting a little extra in that account just in case they ever try to retroactively charge me those fees...

Including a four week run of bad luck, my averages (over the past 6 months) have been 0.6% silver which is enough to pay the fees, and as long as that holds I will continue ordering from them.

Running the numbers, fees, replacing the face value of the silver I find, gas, etc will end up costing me about 60 to 75 a week. This is going to be hard for me to manage at least on the weeks I don't get paid...



It seems now that in order to make this worthwhile, I will need to do more boxes, some road trips, etc.

My idea is to find another pick up bank next week and start ordering 2 boxes a week through them, as well as start doing road trips.

So far my record with road trips is awful.

Most of the time I would just go to these banks and ask for halves. 90% of the time they didn't have any, 9% of the time they had a few clads (which I bought anyway to be nice) and actually just a single time did they actually have a collectible coin (a proof).

I have plenty of banks within 30 miles or so, and I could either canvas all of them every other month or so, or just cold call them every few weeks or so and go from there.

So far Ive built a database of around 40 branches. Ive divided them up by general geographic area (local, north, east, and south) and will start cold calling them on Monday.

I figure Ill strike out 9 out of 10 times, and most of what I do find will be clad, but I have to give it a try.

Wish me luck.
 
Upvote 0
40 banks!!??? Where do you find the time and energy????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:
 
Hi Ho Silver! said:
40 banks!!??? Where do you find the time and energy????? :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:


There are 13 "local" branches.

There are 10 "north" branches.

There are 6 "east" branches.

There are 8 "south" branches.

There are 19 branches to the west but they are spread out a lot and would be hard to get to... For now I will not be calling on them.


One week I will call all the "local" branches, ask if they have halves, and visit all that say they do.

The next week I will do the same with the "north" branches, the next with the "south" branches, and the next with the "east" branches.

As far as time and energy, I anticipate that I wont be driving too much. The vast majority of these banks wont have anything so I probably wont be making more than a single bank run per week...



Thats the plan anyway...lol
 
Placerman,
You are one heck of a planner! With all that straight line planning, we need you to plan the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. You'd certainly win em'
rileyboy
 
WHAT! The bailout wasn't enough, now they want fees from you....Greed.
 
What area you in placerman?
 
calling ahead does save time and gas, HOWEVER i have found that some of the banks i called who said they had no halfs did indeed have many when i went and checked them in person. i think some tellers don't want to be bothered by having to ask all tellers if they have any.
 
Placerman,

If you live in CT. I'll pick up, deliver,and dump your boxes for $50.00 a week.
HH
Rich
 
always call ahead unless you just feel like burning up a whole day on clad. :dontknow:

Golden Silver
 
road trips don't produce much in my area either. too many "little ol men" making the rounds and too many tellers getting it for themselves. many banks around here won't even deal with you unless you have an account.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom