Few N. Bay Area CA obsidian pieces.

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5305757B-4EF8-436B-A470-B698A43F7193.jpeg

A mix including two one offā€˜s I thought Iā€™d share. The most recent find being the chocolate colored obsidian point with the big base. Itā€™s like an enlarged rattlesnake cluster point but too big to be an arrow point. First big base like that Iā€™ve ever found at one particular site. The jet black one with one barb, yes the other side is worked straight on down, is also a unique among many from that site as well and also a recent find. The rustic excelsior with cortex at the bottom is one of the first larger complete pieces I found when I was a kid.

Upvote 10

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the majority of California artifacts obsidian and crystal? I love the obsidian but Iā€™ve never found so much as a flake around here. Do you get more excited when you find a flint piece?

OP
OP
Missouri Breaks

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are the majority of California artifacts obsidian and crystal? I love the obsidian but Iā€™ve never found so much as a flake around here. Do you get more excited when you find a flint piece?
California is a mixed bag when it comes to lithics for blades and points. The Bay Area coast with its access to a couple prominent glass mountains will have more obsidian whereas the foothills and higher can have loads of basalt and quartz. Down south maybe getting into the flints etc with other materials. The far northern areas and into Oregon will be obsidian again because of the Lassen and Shasta obsidian fields. I do like it when I find something nicely made of chert or basalt which were widely used for hand tools, not so much for projectiles. Jasper, schists and agates are otherā€™s but not to much flint actually.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread