What's new

Plains Arrow Shaft Abraders

11KBP

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
805
Reaction score
1,271
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Great Plains
Seeing the recent post concerning the abrading tool I thought I would make a post specifically describing the Late Prehistoric arrow shaft abraders:

Shaft Abraders - Plains matched pair style

Arrow Shaft Abraders
Central Plains Tradition:
Circa A.D. 1100 to 1450


The distribution range of this type of arrow shaft abrader, sometimes called arrow shaft smoothers (not to be confused with straighteners), is primarily in the Great Plains region consisting of the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas and Oklahoma but have also been found in neighboring states. They appear to be most common on Central Plains Tradition sites. These abraders are always made of sandstone with one of the common sources being Dakota sandstone which outcrops in both Nebraska and Kansas.

The shaft abraders shown in the images below were made and utilized by the same Late Prehistoric cultures that made the Fresno, Washita, Harrell and Huffaker arrow points as well as the distinctive Plains Harahey Knife.

The first image is a group of damaged arrow shaft abraders, many of these are found in this condition as oftentimes the sandstone used was not very durable and therefore the abraders will break fairly easy.
SA1.webp


The second and third images are of a matched set of shaft abraders found in 1976 by Merle Stevens, a Nebraska collector. The arrow shaft is held in one hand and sandwiched between the two sandstone abraders which are held together with the other hand. The shaft is then drawn back and forth through the paired abraders to obtain the desired evenness and smoothness.

SA2.webp


SA3.webp


As can be seen in the next two images the shaft abraders vary in length and there can also some variance in shape, some having more rounded boat-shaped surfaces and some with more squared surfaces. The bottom example has had the groove etched in but has seen very little use or possibly not used at all.

SA4.webp


SA5.webp


Shaft Abrader Preforms:
The two pieces in the below images are shaft abrader preforms for making matched pairs of arrow shaft abraders. The sandstone preforms can vary somewhat in shape. They were first formed into a shape similar to these two examples shown here.

SA6.webp


The below picture is of another preform (found in several pieces) and this one was in the process of being cut in half. This example was generously given to me by Lyle Nickel, an Oklahoma collector who knew of my interest in these unique tools.

SA7a.webp


The last image is of a replication I did after a well-know Plains/High Plains authenticator told me that the pieces I was calling preforms was not likely correct and was the reason I decided to attempt a replication.
After photo-documenting my experiment he decided I had a good point and apologized.

SA8 Abrader Replication.webp
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's the one. I wish there were more sites like it. There is so much NA history in the plains it's crazy. Very cool that you got to work there.
There are abrader stones in situ on the floor of that museum. I still beat myself up for tossing the one I found in the lake.
Thanks for adding that pic of the abraders. That is a nice museum, building the museum over an excavated Pawnee earth lodge makes for a unique viewing experience.
 
Thanks for adding that pic of the abraders. That is a nice museum, building the museum over an excavated Pawnee earth lodge makes for a unique viewing experience.
Absolutely. The wife and I were just there last spring. The view of the river valley is pretty amazing from the museum.
I agree. The Pawnee Indian village museum is unique in that way. I would do something similar at Blue Earth (or any other plains site) if I won the lottery. But back to the abraders...
I love what I call the "utilitarian" tools. Don't get me wrong, I love anything to do with history and consumables such as points, knives and the like are just as neat, but the things like this that were more "mundane" every day tools are what I like. Abraders, drills, pestle and metate, etc... The rare, more personal stuff that to them were a necessity but, they kept the good ones with them because, well you know, everybody who BBQs has a favorite spatula. I really hope to find another abrader stone some day
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom