Few stones from late grandparents

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these in my grandma's belongings after she passed, wonder what there worth, in particular the 3 diamonds.

Yellow pear shaped is 5.6 carat
White round one 4.12
Light yellow round one 2.73
I believe the 2 pink/red ones are rubies
And the small ones im not sure if there rubies or pink sapphire. Im curios to know the origins of the rubies and what they could be worth.

DC1B882E-A194-47F6-8D67-D4DF26505782.jpeg
6B785A50-E0C4-4803-A603-FEAD0B688EF0.jpeg
030F4947-F5E1-4357-B59C-2C57EEBF565B.jpeg
033A606A-3945-4A4E-8EBA-F607F9209F70.jpeg
302B2F10-3B40-4A8F-8E53-D6E9F0D4602A.jpeg
90DA4F99-2ACA-4DC0-966F-2C24EEE11DEE.jpeg
8EC33050-F121-44A3-AAA8-EF11797739BE.jpg
E4643CE3-EBF1-4178-8CA0-14B8C0F61B94.png

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really nice looking Im still learning about stuff like this its fun. Someone will help it takes a little while sometimes. Thanks for sharing those.....Tommy

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody can evaluate a diamond from a photograph, not possible. You will have to take them to a certified gemologist. Diamond value is based on cut, color and clarity and neither can be seen in a photo. They need to be studied under a magnifying glass by a gemologist. If the pink stones are rubies they are not particularly valuable, again, cut, color and clarity, and pink is not a valuable color in ruby. (or sapphire) The pink could be rubellite, the pink form of tourmaline. The "girdles" on the diamonds (the edge where the bottom facets meet the top facets) is overly wide indicating poor "cut". They might be interesting examples but I don't think you are going to have a life altering value here. Take them to a certified gemologist and get back to us with his/her evaluation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody can evaluate a diamond from a photograph, not possible. You will have to take them to a certified gemologist. Diamond value is based on cut, color and clarity and neither can be seen in a photo. They need to be studied under a magnifying glass by a gemologist. If the pink stones are rubies they are not particularly valuable, again, cut, color and clarity, and pink is not a valuable color in ruby. (or sapphire) The pink could be rubellite, the pink form of tourmaline. The "girdles" on the diamonds (the edge where the bottom facets meet the top facets) is overly wide indicating poor "cut". They might be interesting examples but I don't think you are going to have a life altering value here. Take them to a certified gemologist and get back to us with his/her evaluation.

I have been trying to book a slot but due to the current situation its off limits. So will have to wait i guess. I did show them to someone who is a jeweller and he stated they are quite included and are SI3 or something along those lines. Cut wise he didn't mention anything. His advise was to get them fitted in to a ring but I don't have funds to go in this direction.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful stone's, I'm not an expert but that yellow diamond should fetch you a pretty penny, probably not life alternating like gunsil said but a pretty penny none the less, it also looks hand cut to me, definitely take it to a gemologist and see what he or she says before you sell it.... never go to a pawn shop, I stupidly took all my old jewelry to a pawn shop when I needed money badly in my younger wilder years, I sold my Rolex Submariner for 1000$ and I paid 8000$ smh.

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think all the diamonds together will be worth much more than a couple hundred dollars total if what I see in the photos is really there. They all seem to have black specks and other severe inclusions in them and the cut is truly poor. They are basically industrial quality diamonds that have been cut, probably in India for the tourist trade, they do not appear to be gem quality. I believe that is why a jeweler told Adam to have a ring made with them, they have little resale value. It will be interesting to hear what a certified gemologist has to say though.

Diamonds are an artificial market and even high grade ones won't bring even half retail value when selling them to a jeweler or pawn shop. I have a gorgeous VS1 a little over a carat that I found with my detector over forty years ago. I still have it. When I found it such stones were going for $1500-2000 if you bought a ring from a jeweler. I took it to a bunch of jewelers and was not offered more than $400 for it. Artificial market with huge mark ups for the retailer. I am sure there are guys here who sell their gold jewelry finds to refiners and they will attest to the fact that used diamonds don't bring much unless they are spectacular huge examples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think all the diamonds together will be worth much more than a couple hundred dollars total if what I see in the photos is really there. They all seem to have black specks and other severe inclusions in them and the cut is truly poor. They are basically industrial quality diamonds that have been cut, probably in India for the tourist trade, they do not appear to be gem quality. I believe that is why a jeweler told Adam to have a ring made with them, they have little resale value. It will be interesting to hear what a certified gemologist has to say though.

Diamonds are an artificial market and even high grade ones won't bring even half retail value when selling them to a jeweler or pawn shop. I have a gorgeous VS1 a little over a carat that I found with my detector over forty years ago. I still have it. When I found it such stones were going for $1500-2000 if you bought a ring from a jeweler. I took it to a bunch of jewelers and was not offered more than $400 for it. Artificial market with huge mark ups for the retailer. I am sure there are guys here who sell their gold jewelry finds to refiners and they will attest to the fact that used diamonds don't bring much unless they are spectacular huge examples.

You amaze me sir.. i had them looked at by a diamond dealer he said exactly what you mentioned in regards to them being "industrial" ofcourse he is no expert but thats 2 people that have said the same thing, you seem to know what your talking about and hats off to you by doing so via pictures. I wonder what i will get for them if i went down the selling route

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Adam0000

Greenie
May 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful stone's, I'm not an expert but that yellow diamond should fetch you a pretty penny, probably not life alternating like gunsil said but a pretty penny none the less, it also looks hand cut to me, definitely take it to a gemologist and see what he or she says before you sell it.... never go to a pawn shop, I stupidly took all my old jewelry to a pawn shop when I needed money badly in my younger wilder years, I sold my Rolex Submariner for 1000$ and I paid 8000$ smh.

Someone i know did the same thing and today the watch is worth over 50.000

Upvote 0

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are informed they are low value, you could always take a shot putting them up on Ebay. For example I had an old 1/3 carat mine cut round diamond - loose. Jeweler said he pays around 75 per 1/4 brilliant cut round diamond, but didn't even offer a cent for this stone. Put it on the Bay and it went for $150-200. You never know what may appeal to some people.

Upvote 0

Steve1236

Sep 14, 2017
Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, stay away from pawn shops lol, like I said I'm not an expert on diamonds but I do like the Ebay idea, if it's just industrial then that's the route I'd go, best of luck.
Steve.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread