GMan00001
Silver Member
- Joined
- Dec 19, 2006
- Messages
- 2,539
- Reaction score
- 228
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Twin Cities, MN
- Detector(s) used
- Garrett Ace 250
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Was planning on heading to a small town branch where they will sell bags of the coin machine, but when I called to verify that the valut teller was in this morning I heard she wasn't so it wasn't worth the trip.
Instead I ended up bouncing around a few local banks in the other direction most of which my daily route does not take me near them.
Bank #1 (normal weekly stop for me)
1 - $50 bag of pennies (was hoping for nickels or dimes, but none yet)
Bank #2
Asked for halves whenthey said they had none I started asking about buying full bags of coins off the coin machine. I would have to call the person in charge of it a different day... But during the discussion (this bank is dead quiet other than me) I asked if it was possible to take a quick look in the half dollar bag and exchange some halves that I had in my pocket for any that I am looking for. She thought about it for a second and then said sure why not. She proceeded to pull the bag of and dump it out on the counter in front of me (probably around $100 worth of halves). I started picking out the silver ones and setting them aside. Ended up picking out 7 silver coins (I ignored the foreign coins as I didn't want to pay 50 cents for those). In the 7 were 2 1964's and 5 - 40% coins (including a 1970-D!).
Now the dilemma, I only had 2 half dollars in my pocket which should I take first. One was easy as I took 1 of the 1964's. The other I had to choose between the other 1964 and the 1970-D. I took the 1970-D and said I asked her to keep the other 5 separated as I would try a few other local banks and try to come up with 5 more half dollars to exchange.
Bank #3 (normal weekly stop for me)
They only had 1 clad half dollar (still 4 short), but since I was there anyway picked up the two bags they had full
1 - $1000 bag of quarters
1 - $50 bag of pennies
Bank #4
Had 9 clad half dollars so I ran back and exchanged 5 of those for the ones I had picked out.
Always nice to find a helpful teller on a slow day.
Bank #5 (Main planned stop on the whole trip)
Picked up
1 - $200 bag of nickels
1 - $50 bag of pennies
I could have also gotten a bag of quarters, but decided to bounce to a few more banks and try my luck at halves and pick up boxes.
Bank #6
They had halves but since I had no account they would have to charge me a "per roll" fee. I said skip it.
Bank #7 (drive thru only)
No halves and not much possibility of anything else so I didn't ask.
Bank #8
1 clad half dollar.
Bank #9
Cashed in some pennies I went through last night
Got a box of nickels
Bank #10
Box of quarters
30 rolls of nickels (they were short so they couldn't sell me the whole box)
Also picked up 2 older style $10 Federal Reserve Notes (1950C-G, 1981-C)
And a $2 Federal Reserve Star Note (1976-I) <-- I think this was the one that was valuable if in great shape, but I don't have a paper money price guide to verify. this one had a very slight rip so it's probably not worth much.
Bank #11
$3 in loose half dollars (skunk)
1 box of nickels
and 2 - $2 United States Notes (Red Seals) Both were 1928 Series G.
and last but not least I picked up $200 in $1 bills and ended up picking up 2 Federal Reserve Star Notes (1985-L, 2003-G)
Oh and grabbed a 1981 Canadian quarter out of the reject slot of the coin machine on the way out.
Was a fun little trip. Eventhough I had originally planned on 2 or 3 banks only....
And I am left with plenty of coins to search through on this balmy Minnesota winter day...
Instead I ended up bouncing around a few local banks in the other direction most of which my daily route does not take me near them.
Bank #1 (normal weekly stop for me)
1 - $50 bag of pennies (was hoping for nickels or dimes, but none yet)
Bank #2
Asked for halves whenthey said they had none I started asking about buying full bags of coins off the coin machine. I would have to call the person in charge of it a different day... But during the discussion (this bank is dead quiet other than me) I asked if it was possible to take a quick look in the half dollar bag and exchange some halves that I had in my pocket for any that I am looking for. She thought about it for a second and then said sure why not. She proceeded to pull the bag of and dump it out on the counter in front of me (probably around $100 worth of halves). I started picking out the silver ones and setting them aside. Ended up picking out 7 silver coins (I ignored the foreign coins as I didn't want to pay 50 cents for those). In the 7 were 2 1964's and 5 - 40% coins (including a 1970-D!).
Now the dilemma, I only had 2 half dollars in my pocket which should I take first. One was easy as I took 1 of the 1964's. The other I had to choose between the other 1964 and the 1970-D. I took the 1970-D and said I asked her to keep the other 5 separated as I would try a few other local banks and try to come up with 5 more half dollars to exchange.
Bank #3 (normal weekly stop for me)
They only had 1 clad half dollar (still 4 short), but since I was there anyway picked up the two bags they had full
1 - $1000 bag of quarters
1 - $50 bag of pennies
Bank #4
Had 9 clad half dollars so I ran back and exchanged 5 of those for the ones I had picked out.
Always nice to find a helpful teller on a slow day.Bank #5 (Main planned stop on the whole trip)
Picked up
1 - $200 bag of nickels
1 - $50 bag of pennies
I could have also gotten a bag of quarters, but decided to bounce to a few more banks and try my luck at halves and pick up boxes.
Bank #6
They had halves but since I had no account they would have to charge me a "per roll" fee. I said skip it.
Bank #7 (drive thru only)
No halves and not much possibility of anything else so I didn't ask.
Bank #8
1 clad half dollar.
Bank #9
Cashed in some pennies I went through last night
Got a box of nickels
Bank #10
Box of quarters
30 rolls of nickels (they were short so they couldn't sell me the whole box)
Also picked up 2 older style $10 Federal Reserve Notes (1950C-G, 1981-C)
And a $2 Federal Reserve Star Note (1976-I) <-- I think this was the one that was valuable if in great shape, but I don't have a paper money price guide to verify. this one had a very slight rip so it's probably not worth much.
Bank #11
$3 in loose half dollars (skunk)
1 box of nickels
and 2 - $2 United States Notes (Red Seals) Both were 1928 Series G.
and last but not least I picked up $200 in $1 bills and ended up picking up 2 Federal Reserve Star Notes (1985-L, 2003-G)
Oh and grabbed a 1981 Canadian quarter out of the reject slot of the coin machine on the way out.
Was a fun little trip. Eventhough I had originally planned on 2 or 3 banks only....

And I am left with plenty of coins to search through on this balmy Minnesota winter day...
Upvote
0







