• Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
I wonder how it was broken? finds like these are often better than finding a whole one because this one has a story! Congrats! HH omnicognic 8)

F

Floater

omnicognic said:
I wonder how it was broken? finds like these are often better than finding a whole one because this one has a story! Congrats! HH omnicognic 8)
I wondered the same thing but I would bet it was Frost that did it and then either a sharp blow or even a root maybe tweaked it while it was really frozen. Interesting though.

J

Joe (Memphis)

That is incredible!! Congrats! I am with those that are wondering how you fracture a maleable coin though??? I would really like to know how that was done.... :-\

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is way too cool. great persistance!!

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.
Looks like someone sawed it into with a coping saw.They surely didn't realize the consequences of their actions of 100 years ago.I wonder if someone will discover my dumb stunts 100 years from now?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bergie , the distance was about 2 feet . Junkdigger - the edge is too rough and irregular to have been cut with a saw .

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
man that is CRAZY! i have never seen anything like that before. it looks like it just snapped. probably when it was frozen like floater said.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. I imagine all of us have found coins hit by a mower, but those are straight across, and that looks broken. I have never seen a "broken" coin before. Could it have come out of the mint with a huge crack then split later? Mint error maybe?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the interesting info , sounds to good to be true . I hope you're right ! I just put it in a safe place . I didn't think it would be worth much because it is broken , but now I'm definitely going to look into it more . Thanks for your research !
Mojjax

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
thats awesome! congratulations mojjax!! let us know more info as you find itout.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread