Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reeeealy getting tired of this winter weather. It has been very cold here for a while now. Many nights in the single digits. We have had slightly warmer weather to the east of us and an occasional day above freezing. So I ventured out to the civil war bullet school and checked the ground. It was 22 degrees with the promise of 39 in the next 4 hours and I did find a couple of areas where I could get a shovel in the ground (sometimes with a lot of effort). So I got to swingin the CZ21 and spent 3.5 hours hunting the spots I could dig. I ended up with 48 coins with a face value of $2.65, an old Pepsi game tab, a cheapie cross token, 2 civil war bullets, a copper rivet, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

8762B029-1D7E-4B9F-BF10-722BA53482F7.jpeg

BCCDB512-C1B2-4D4F-93D2-8F7D60D971D8.jpeg

The bullets were close to the building. The Williams type III was about 4 feet out by the sidewalk and the .58 cal minie was 16 inches from the wall. When I got the signal for the Williams I was expecting another penny. After I popped the plug I scanned the plug and the hole and no signal. I looked at the shovel to push the dirt off and scan that when I saw the bullet that had fallen out of the dirt on the shovel. Surprise!! Both are drops and have some damage from being moved around during construction and landscaping. The rivet could be civil war or much later. You still see them on belts and harnesses in use today.

B42826DF-B70E-40AF-8B44-74A0C4DB56BA.jpeg

3A24C22B-641C-4526-A9BC-1C5C05164C7F.jpeg

I went back out this morning to try a couple of other areas in the same town as the school and I couldn’t find a spot to get my shovel in the ground. Everything was jackhammer hard. It is understandable with all the cold weather we have had. When it does get above freezing during the day it drops to the teens and twenties over night. We really need above freezing temps at night to for things to really thaw. I guess I just got luck at the school yesterday. I couldn’t go back to the school because I can only detect when classes are not in session.

Still itching to get out and swing some more, but at least I got one hunt in. That makes 2 in the last 3 weeks when I am used to going 3 or 4 times a week. My wife and I are making plans to visit family in Florida soon so I should be able to get out every morning while I am there. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 7

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice recoveries
Nice detail

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am reeeealy getting tired of this winter weather. It has been very cold here for a while now. Many nights in the single digits. We have had slightly warmer weather to the east of us and an occasional day above freezing. So I ventured out to the civil war bullet school and checked the ground. It was 22 degrees with the promise of 39 in the next 4 hours and I did find a couple of areas where I could get a shovel in the ground (sometimes with a lot of effort). So I got to swingin the CZ21 and spent 3.5 hours hunting the spots I could dig. I ended up with 48 coins with a face value of $2.65, an old Pepsi game tab, a cheapie cross token, 2 civil war bullets, a copper rivet, tabs and the usual assortment of junk.

View attachment 2008580

View attachment 2008581

The bullets were close to the building. The Williams type III was about 4 feet out by the sidewalk and the .58 cal minie was 16 inches from the wall. When I got the signal for the Williams I was expecting another penny. After I popped the plug I scanned the plug and the hole and no signal. I looked at the shovel to push the dirt off and scan that when I saw the bullet that had fallen out of the dirt on the shovel. Surprise!! Both are drops and have some damage from being moved around during construction and landscaping. The rivet could be civil war or much later. You still see them on belts and harnesses in use today.

View attachment 2008579

View attachment 2008582

I went back out this morning to try a couple of other areas in the same town as the school and I couldn’t find a spot to get my shovel in the ground. Everything was jackhammer hard. It is understandable with all the cold weather we have had. When it does get above freezing during the day it drops to the teens and twenties over night. We really need above freezing temps at night to for things to really thaw. I guess I just got luck at the school yesterday. I couldn’t go back to the school because I can only detect when classes are not in session.

Still itching to get out and swing some more, but at least I got one hunt in. That makes 2 in the last 3 weeks when I am used to going 3 or 4 times a week. My wife and I are making plans to visit family in Florida soon so I should be able to get out every morning while I am there. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions