Finally my First silver coin, mystery ring, wheats and clad haul!

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg Finally broke the nasty slump I was in, I had went for over a month without finding anything even a stinking wheat Penny. I decided to try to find a new spot to hunt at. Being in San Diego I'm not sure if there really is much for hunting because I never seem to find much of anything. But today was different! Did some research and found a school near my house that was built in the 30s and boy was it amazing. Surrounding the school were platforms all filled with dirt which the plants had all but died off leaving amazingly soft dirt because it had also just rained a lot of days in a row here leaving the ground soft and the targets high! All I wanted to do was find a silver coin because besides an old war nickel I once found, I still had yet to find an all silver coin. I find 1965 dimes all the time and it infuriates me! Hardly do I ever even find a wheat Penny but today's first signal and dig was just that. A 1945 wheaty! I had a feeling today was the day and that this was the spot to find my first silver. I would end up finding 6 wheatys total, 2 1952 s, 1952 d, and 1958 d. I was very excited to find what I considered so many wheatys. It showed me my research paid off and the school was indeed old enough to produce silver. It was a bit of a dream because every coin was so close to surface that I could pinpoint it using my pro pointer before digging! Don't you just love when that happens? It was like that with every coin. Hardly any trash and so many copper Penny's I ended up digging exactly 100 in all. All with varying dates old to new but most from th 1970s which leads me to think someone may have got to this spot before me but didn't clear it all out... I started to dig my least favorite coin, a 1965 dime. Always hurts! But At one point I decided to go along the edge strip of one planter and got a signal that was good but for whatever reason I kept moving. I turned back around and looked at the ground and said hmm why not? And I dug my first some that was not a 1965 dime. I instantly knew I had done it just by how it came out of the ground. (Think, just a white thing staring you in the face!) indeed I had and I got to savor the moment! I ended up digging a few more coins but I was pretty satisfied by that point. Who was I kidding I hunted until four in the morning after that! I wound up with 950 in clad, a mystery ring can't tell if it's junk or not and also a few bullets and other random stuff. The only downside was I'm using a fisher f2 and sometimes depending on location it will go haywire. The school had a massive baseball field in the back but it was off limits due to my machine going haywire. Tried new battery's and different coils to no avail. Anyone know why this would happen? Front of the school was totally fine but image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hope you enjoy the pics!

Upvote 14

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
<<I find 1965 dimes all the time and it infuriates me!>>

Made me smile - I feel your pain!!!

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice day the ring looks silver any hallmarks on it ?congratulations

OP
OP
A

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.png none because it appears to be broke? This is the back of it. I didn't think it was silver cause how light it is but does anyone else have any guesses what it is?

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Con grats on your first silver. I too find those dam 65 quarters, dime. Grrrr

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What a beautiful coin. Congrats on your first silver and may you find many more. Remember to find the deep targets in "old dirt"!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding your first silver. May many more jump out of the ground before you.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats on 1st silver...more to come now.To answer your question about the f2 going haywire...like many machines the f2 is suseptable to emf interferance.a nearby cell tower just freaks out the f2.also ham radio antenna,underground or overhead electric service.even your cell phone can cause some problems at times.

The f2 is really an amazing entry level machine,my wife swung one for two years before switching to at pro.It does have its limitations tho.being a preset ground balance machine it can suffer greatly in high iron soil etc.

hope it helps...hh

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
electromagnetic interference ---caused by power sources , power lines ( bleeding off stray energy ) your coil picks up this energy and it screws up your coils "electric field" that it uses to detect metal -- the coil makes a sensitive electronic field below it that reacts when it gets close to metal --the stray energy screws with the field causing falsing ---lower your machines sensitivity level until it not longer picks up the stray energy and settles down ...high mineral levels in the dirt can do it as well --as the minerals can be seen as a "wall of metal" by the machine --quite common in salt water beach areas or in mountion high mineral areas --they might have trucked in dirt from a different area --a common thing when building

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread