What's new

Finally rolled my coinstar Canadian coins

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2020
Messages
4,474
Reaction score
10,398
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a tedious task but fun. I ended up with about $80 in Canadian coins from over the years hitting coinstars. The bank near me will exchange it for me..(just found out there'sa $15 fee with it).....not sure what the exchange rate will be or if going to a coinstar in Canada will be better...there are quarter rolls underneath the penny rolls...
 

Attachments

  • 20260910_073025.webp
    20260910_073025.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
It was a tedious task but fun. I ended up with about $80 in Canadian coins from over the years hitting coinstars. The bank near me will exchange it for me....not sure what the exchange rate will be or if going to a coinstar in Canada will be better...there are quarter rolls underneath the penny rolls...
Wow, and I thought I find lots of Mexican coins! At least yours are worth more! :icon_thumright:
 
I have dug coins, cleaned them as I usual, and coinstar has still rejected some of my coins. I usually take them to the cashier with not problem. I do spend a lot of time just cleaning my coins :)Yeah
 
It was a tedious task but fun. I ended up with about $80 in Canadian coins from over the years hitting coinstars. The bank near me will exchange it for me..(just found out there'sa $15 fee with it).....not sure what the exchange rate will be or if going to a coinstar in Canada will be better...there are quarter rolls underneath the penny rolls...
All our banks and financial institutions just take our US coins on par. No exchange rate.
80 Canadian Dollars (CAD) is worth about $57.82 US Dollars (USD) Minus the $15 fee
Then there's the bank rate-you'll be lucky to get 1/2.

You should have just gone for a trip and had a coffee and grilled cheese @ StarBucks.
Had one today and it was $17.50 so you could have treated somebody-left a tip and be broke. :laughing7:
 
It was a tedious task but fun. I ended up with about $80 in Canadian coins from over the years hitting coinstars. The bank near me will exchange it for me..(just found out there'sa $15 fee with it).....not sure what the exchange rate will be or if going to a coinstar in Canada will be better...there are quarter rolls underneath the penny rolls...
If you went to a coinstar in Canada wouldn’t you just get a receipt that you would exchange for Canadian bills? Same predicament? Unless maybe you were able to cash the receipt in the US?
 
All our banks and financial institutions just take our US coins on par. No exchange rate.
80 Canadian Dollars (CAD) is worth about $57.82 US Dollars (USD) Minus the $15 fee
Then there's the bank rate-you'll be lucky to get 1/2.

You should have just gone for a trip and had a coffee and grilled cheese @ StarBucks.
Had one today and it was $17.50 so you could have treated somebody-left a tip and be broke. :laughing7:
Still time... think I'll be visiting Quebec in the near future...do you think the wait staff would appreciate rolls of pennies for the tip? :)
 
If you went to a coinstar in Canada wouldn’t you just get a receipt that you would exchange for Canadian bills? Same predicament? Unless maybe you were able to cash the receipt in the US?
I think I may come out more ahead using the coinstar in 🇨🇦....and just suck up the fee...self check out machines in their grocery stores take coins but fill up fast...I can just see the long line of people waiting for me....
 
Last edited:
I think I may come out more ahead using the coinstar in 🇨🇦....and just suck up the fee...self check out machines in their grocery stores take coins but fill up fast...I can just see the long line of people waiting for me....
I still haven't seen a coinstsr machine in a grocery store yet.
Self checkout are all cashless.
 
All our banks and financial institutions just take our US coins on par. No exchange rate.
80 Canadian Dollars (CAD) is worth about $57.82 US Dollars (USD) Minus the $15 fee
Then there's the bank rate-you'll be lucky to get 1/2.

You should have just gone for a trip and had a coffee and grilled cheese @ StarBucks.
Had one today and it was $17.50 so you could have treated somebody-left a tip and be broke. :laughing7:
When I was young, in upstate NY, Canadian coins were probably 20% of the change we would get at stores. We took them and the stores took them without worrying about the exchange rate. It was all accepted at face value unless you took it to the bank. The banks always reduce the value per the current exchange rate so consequently, lots of Canadian coins were in circulation back then in that area. I don't know if this is still true today though.
 
When I was young, in upstate NY, Canadian coins were probably 20% of the change we would get at stores. We took them and the stores took them without worrying about the exchange rate. It was all accepted at face value unless you took it to the bank. The banks always reduce the value per the current exchange rate so consequently, lots of Canadian coins were in circulation back then in that area. I don't know if this is still true today though.
Fascinating, I remember when Canadian pennies were accepted here...
 
When I was young, in upstate NY, Canadian coins were probably 20% of the change we would get at stores. We took them and the stores took them without worrying about the exchange rate. It was all accepted at face value unless you took it to the bank. The banks always reduce the value per the current exchange rate so consequently, lots of Canadian coins were in circulation back then in that area. I don't know if this is still true today though.
I grew up around Jamestown, NY and I live outside of Rochester, NY now. Canadian coins are still pretty common. A little less than in the 70's and 80's. I keep the 100% nickel ones and roll up the plated steel ones. I've taken them to banks in Canada twice - once in Toronto and once in Halifax. I cashed them in for Canadian paper money that I spent while I was there. When I tell them that most were free from coin machines in the US, they think that's funny.

Scott
 
I grew up around Jamestown, NY and I live outside of Rochester, NY now. Canadian coins are still pretty common. A little less than in the 70's and 80's. I keep the 100% nickel ones and roll up the plated steel ones. I've taken them to banks in Canada twice - once in Toronto and once in Halifax. I cashed them in for Canadian paper money that I spent while I was there. When I tell them that most were free from coin machines in the US, they think that's funny.

Scott
I didn't know they had retail banks in Canada that U.S citizens could use...what banks did you use? And do you have to be a member? That's a good story to pass on to them regarding the coinstars. :)
 
I grew up around Jamestown, NY and I live outside of Rochester, NY now. Canadian coins are still pretty common. A little less than in the 70's and 80's. I keep the 100% nickel ones and roll up the plated steel ones. I've taken them to banks in Canada twice - once in Toronto and once in Halifax. I cashed them in for Canadian paper money that I spent while I was there. When I tell them that most were free from coin machines in the US, they think that's funny.

Scott
I was born in Auburn a long, long time ago... 👴
 
I didn't know they had retail banks in Canada that U.S citizens could use...what banks did you use? And do you have to be a member? That's a good story to pass on to them regarding the coinstars. :)
Actually, TD bank has many branches in the US. I think one or two others do as well. I was in Canada on vacation and took the rolls along. In both Toronto and Halifax, I took them to TD banks. It was easier in Toronto. In Halifax, they kept telling me I couldn't do it because I didn't have an account. Once I figured out that they thought I wanted US money in exchange and I told them I wanted Canadian, then it was fine. Both banks took a copy of my driver's license.

Scott
 
Actually, TD bank has many branches in the US. I think one or two others do as well. I was in Canada on vacation and took the rolls along. In both Toronto and Halifax, I took them to TD banks. It was easier in Toronto. In Halifax, they kept telling me I couldn't do it because I didn't have an account. Once I figured out that they thought I wanted US money in exchange and I told them I wanted Canadian, then it was fine. Both banks took a copy of my driver's license.

Scott
Good to know...think I'll open an account with TD bank...I'll check to see if any are in Quebec....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom