Finally scored a keeper!

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 15 rolls of halves from a different bank today. The teller was very nice and accomodating. She busted a $500 box and let me select the rolls I wanted. One roll I ended up with had a 67 ender. That was the only silver I found but did get a couple 2001 P mints and a few other post 2002 halves. I know the sticky for beginners says to keep these coins but why? Do they hold any extra value? I was really excited about the 67 considering it's the first silver I've found. I figure it's not too bad considering I've only been through about 35 rolls since I started a couple weeks ago.

Upvote 0

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DUmp and go get the rest of the box...

Big Fat Cheeseball

Jun 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job James! Now you need to go back and clean that box out...just buy and dump and buy and dump till its gone. When you find an ender there is normally a few more in the box.

HH

Big Fat

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver usually runs in streaks, go get the rest of it, pronto =)

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, thanks for the info guys. I do plan to dump and head back for the rest tommorrow on my lunch break. What about the 2001p and post 2002's? One is a 2010. Latest one I've seen yet.

Wilmingtonsilver

Sep 6, 2012
SE North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dump them. There is really no reason to keep any of the 2000's coins, unless you are a collector. You will not get over face value for them.

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you in southeast columbus by any chance because I was just at a bank that had a freshly opened box with 10 rolls taken out and she offered to let me look through them and pick ones I wanted, just had her give me 32 rolls out of the box, didn't cherry pick. Nothing in them but a single 2003.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Giniro, I'm in WV. That is some coincidence though. I picked up another 15 rolls from the same box today. No silver but another 2001P and a couple more post 2002's. I feel successful. I'd go back and get some more rolls but I have to go out of town early in the morning. Oh well, maybe the remaining 20 rolls will be there when I get back. I think I'm going to try nickels and dimes next week. Anything I should look for besides war nickels, buffalos, speared bison and 2009's, and silver dimes?

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamesabroad said:
Giniro, I'm in WV. That is some coincidence though. I picked up another 15 rolls from the same box today. No silver but another 2001P and a couple more post 2002's. I feel successful. I'd go back and get some more rolls but I have to go out of town early in the morning. Oh well, maybe the remaining 20 rolls will be there when I get back. I think I'm going to try nickels and dimes next week. Anything I should look for besides war nickels, buffalos, speared bison and 2009's, and silver dimes?

If you tell me what bank they're at I will get them and save them for you till you get back, joking , very cool that you got to pick from a box, and get to pick out the ender! Man, if it was that easy every time, lol. Nice pick there James! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you tell me what bank they're at I will get them and save them for you till you get back, joking , very cool that you got to pick from a box, and get to pick out the ender! Man, if it was that easy every time, lol. Nice pick there James! HH, Maverick.

I actually didn't pick out the ender knowingly. It must have been facing the bottom of the box. I discovered it after I got in the car.

Maverick, I see your avatar is a 1976. What is the significance? Is it a proof coin or something? Just curious. Trying to learn here.

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamesabroad said:
I actually didn't pick out the ender knowingly. It must have been facing the bottom of the box. I discovered it after I got in the car.

Ah, that's cool, Seeing that afterwards must have felt great, Enders are the best! HH, Maverick.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick, I see your avatar is a 1976. What is the significance? Is it a proof coin or something? Just curious. Trying to learn here.

It is the silver variety, which is 40%. It is NIFC, like the 2002+ halves.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Jamesabroad said:
Cool, so how do I tell if the one I'm looking at is a 40%? I didn't know there were any of these. I see A LOT of 76's. "S" mint mark?

Hey James, sorry for the delayed response, I don't get to check in everyday, you can tell it is Silver just like any other, it had the silver rim and passed the sound test, I have only found 1 other one ever so far. Don't worry, if you find one, you'll know it. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
Jamesabroad

Jamesabroad

Feb 23, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Maverick. I appreciate the response. I guess I should have thought of the silver rim. Duh

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Maverick... When I hit an entire roll of proofs there was one Bi-Cen 40% in it too... Great looking coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread