Common Cents

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
with demand for zinc in a variety of industries increasing, and further talk of discontinuation of the cent, I pro-pose, that one day, zinc cents will be worth more than their face value if you factor inflation in. when the cent is discontinued, people will quickly embark on the melting of copper cents. After the copper supply has been depleted, (NOT now of course), I think it would be a good idea to start saving any and all cents. this is some serious food for thought.

95px-2005-Penny-Uncirculated-Obverse-cropped.png

Kitco - Commentaries - John Lee, CFA

its only a matter-of-time.

Upvote 0
Dawg I agree. The most opprotunity to make some cheese cee are 8ching is with cents

I'm saving my coppers, definitely. Maybe zinc is the wave of the future....

It's pretty obvious though. As inflation rises, as the cent is discontinued/changed, eventually you will see a rise in price on raw materials. You just have to balance the flood of the market with that material. If the govt/consumers start melting down...

With the billions of zinc cents minted over the years, I highly doubt they will ever be worth more than face value. It would depend more on the future market price of zinc, which drives the value of pre-82 cents now (copper value).

With the billions of zinc cents minted over the years, I highly doubt they will ever be worth more than face value. It would depend more on the future market price of zinc, which drives the value of pre-82 cents now (copper value).

Factor in inflation (which is happening by the way), and you will see that metal prices always increase despite the buying power of currency decreases. Zinc is actually a commodity, and can be melted and refined. Even if metal rates stay steady or even drop, so long as inflation keeps on happening the metal content will exceed their face value one day. Of course now, or the next 10 years, but when cents become a thing of the past and are rarely used, (ie, carriers run completely out) it is very possible that zinc cents will be worth more than face value, and once cents are discontinued, people will start holding on to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back