What's new

Finally some good luck

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,363
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Yesterday and today while running errands around town I figured I'd stop by different bank branches I was close to and ask for halves. I usually don't because I've had a high percentage of banks turn me down if I don't have accounts with them. But I figured what the heck. Yesterday I stopped at 6 different branches and only one branch had 6 half dollars, which were a skunk. So today I go to a branch of a bank I DO have an account at and ask for $20 in nickels to search, since I only had $20 cash. I then ask for halves and she says she doesn't have any in her drawer. I thank her, then as I'm about to leave she says 'oh wait, I do have some rolled in my vault if you want them...but there's $180 worth so I dont' know how many you may want.' So I take them all (had to write a check but no big deal). The girl tells me she's been trying to get rid of these things forever and no one seems to want them! Haha...I think she was just making conversation since she was about my age and probably wanted my body...you know how it is.

So I get the 18 rolls and immediately see one with '1965' written on it in "old person's" handwriting. JewelerDave's scheme runs through my mind and I think 'either I just got a bunch of silver or I totally got JewelerDaved!' Well...I get home and one roll has '1965' on it, and one has '1968' on it, and some more have other non-silver years. So I crack them all open...oddly enough the 1965 and 1968 marked rolls did not have all 1965 and 1968 coins in it, but they were all 40%ers. Also there was one unmarked roll that was all 40s and a fourth roll that had a few more in it, all together.

Totals: 65x7
66x10
67x11
68Dx24
69Dx13

And the rest clad. Nothing newer than 1989. Haven't done the nickels yet but did get a '64 Roosie out of 8 rolls of dimes and a 2002-D Sac out of 2 rolls of dollar coins as well. Gotta love it.
 
Upvote 0
Congrats on your find ... good score.

What is with the 2002 Sac is it something we should keep?

So what happens when you fill up your safe deposit box... you get a second and a third?

Thanks
Cat
 
Cat J said:
Congrats on your find ... good score.

What is with the 2002 Sac is it something we should keep?

So what happens when you fill up your safe deposit box... you get a second and a third?

Thanks
Cat

Much like the 2002+ halves, 2001 was the last year Sacajawea dollars were minted for general circulation purposes. 2002 and up you could only buy in the mint rolls or from mint bags I think.

I don't have much other than my coins in my sd box so it's not going to be entirely full until a long long time from now. However it is getting quite heavy!
 
"Son, you're writing checks your body can't cash" Now we know you have the disease. Cheers, Jim
 
Nicely done there Doc !

That's a mound of silver to be proud of.
 
Ahh, see I only get out to PA once a year, and dont have that much time for CRH....but I do have some family out there.
So its highly unlikely its one of my traps of discouragement.
however I have been able to plant many seeds in peoples heads so if someone else does it. Dont be surprised.
The whole idea behind my tactics is to psychologically demoralize competition locally.
But good score!
 
jewelerdave said:
Ahh, see I only get out to PA once a year, and dont have that much time for CRH....but I do have some family out there.
So its highly unlikely its one of my traps of discouragement.
however I have been able to plant many seeds in peoples heads so if someone else does it. Dont be surprised.
The whole idea behind my tactics is to psychologically demoralize competition locally.
But good score!

JD,

I know we disagree about some tactics with our hobbies, but I assure you I would have just laughed and thought to myself 'dang I just got owned' if for some reason I stumbled upon one of your traps. I see the logic and it seems to hold water, however it's just not my style. Also I remember you posting about being out here in PA a while back and honestly the thought of you went through my head when I saw the dated rolls.
 
Nice score DD. That is a sweet total for 18 rolls. Congrats.

BTW - I like the your style....definitely stay with it...... ;).....class act.
 
lejeuene said:
Nice score DD. That is a sweet total for 18 rolls. Congrats.

BTW - I like the your style....definitely stay with it...... ;).....class act.

Didn't you hear? I'm the classiest guy 'round these parts! ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom