crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening fellow detectorists, Decided to return to the Family "Smith" farm which my great grandfather farmed from the 20's to the 40's. I have been hunting this place on and off all summer but still have uncovered turf. I'm still finding things in areas I have already hunted. To date I have found 2 mercs. and a Rosie. Today I found another merc. The front of the house has some real old maples which were ideal for people to relax and play under on those hot summer days when most people had no AC. My great grandfather loved to sit outside as I clearly recall. Nice place for change to fall out too :D. I have found at least 2 dozen Wheaties as well. The tootsie toy was down deep (8 inches) under a layer of clay. I can't believe how protected it was. Looks almost new. Any idea on the age? I'm guessing by the design 40's. I found another key (6) already, a broach (any ideas)? a small pocket spill 1963 nickle and some early 60ish pennies. Also found some kind of brass thingy? Thanks for looking P.S. Notice The picture of the house with the ladder and the big maple tree to the right. Well, hurricane Ike knocked it down hitting the side of the house. The damage could have been more severe had it fell to the left. Instead, it bounced off of the side leaving a small hole in the side of the house and damaging the gutter and some of the wood.

Picture609-2.jpg

Picture607-3.jpg

Picture600-2.jpg

Picture606-3.jpg

Picture605-2.jpg

Picture601-1.jpg

Picture773.jpg

Picture774.jpg

Picture772.jpg

Picture767.jpg

Picture771.jpg

Picture770.jpg

Picture768.jpg

Upvote 0

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Now that's my kinda huntin place...Nice digs...WTG.. :thumbsup: jgas

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DD-777 said:
Sweet digs today Crazy - congrats on a gorgeous Merc!!! As 49'er says, "silver is silver"... ;D

Does that "broach" have any markings on the back? Pretty neat looking as well...

:thumbsup:

I don't see anything.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs CJH. :thumbsup:
The Smith house is still giving up the goods. ;D That property is beautiful.
Congrats on the Merc. :icon_king:
-MM-

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ModernMiner said:
Nice digs CJH. :thumbsup:
The Smith house is still giving up the goods. ;D That property is beautiful.
Congrats on the Merc. :icon_king:
-MM-

Thanks MM. I like your new avatar. :o

eggbag

Mar 17, 2008
The stone in the broach looks like a mystic topaz maybe? They take the clear topaz stone and heat treat it to get those crazy colors.I had one cut and treated that I found in North Carolina at Gem Mountain. Great finds there, keep on diggin!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
That's a gorgeous Merc ya got there CJH!! :thumbsup:

That truck is way cool, too!

You sure have a way of finding unique keys..... :)

Congrats on yet another fine hunt!

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
cool finds! And a sweet location to hunt too. I just love the looks of old farm properties like this.

kansas coin hunter

Feb 24, 2008
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites q2 6000 di series 3 6000di pro and whites bulleye pin pointer
hey crazy jar head thank you for service to your great countery bro viet nam here army you guys saved ir ass lots times hugs bro welcome home kansas coin hunter

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
eggbag said:
The stone in the broach looks like a mystic topaz maybe? They take the clear topaz stone and heat treat it to get those crazy colors.I had one cut and treated that I found in North Carolina at Gem Mountain. Great finds there, keep on diggin!

Thanks eggbag.

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kimsdad said:
That's a gorgeous Merc ya got there CJH!! :thumbsup:

That truck is way cool, too!

You sure have a way of finding unique keys..... :)

Congrats on yet another fine hunt!

Thanks kimsdad. Yes, I have had a key year. Close to 12 already, 7 from the Smith place alone. Great Grandad was careless.... he liked his whiskey ;D

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kansas coin hunter said:
hey crazy jar head thank you for service to your great countery bro viet nam here army you guys saved ir ass lots times hugs bro welcome home kansas coin hunter

Thanks for the comment. But just being in Nam was enough, regardless of what branch of service you were in. We are all American hero's :coffee2:

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Nice job,

Sweet finds!

Keep @ it and HH!!

Thanks Mudswat. It's in my blood forever. Goes to show you that a place is never hunted out. I had been over this area several times before and it is bone dry down to the coin :icon_scratch: Some soaking rains would be nice. We haven't had hardly nothing since July 4th week

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat finds and great pics. I wish more of us would post pics of our hunting area. It would make our posts so much more interesting. That goes for me too! Monty

OP
OP
crazyjarhead

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
Neat finds and great pics. I wish more of us would post pics of our hunting area. It would make our posts so much more interesting. That goes for me too! Monty

I'm just a thorough type guy. I like to take my hunting places into the minds of the reader because I know it makes it more interesting to show people where you are hunting and what you find. It's kinda like a good or bad movie. You usually know early on if you are going to like it or not.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Got one of those old red Tootsie toy tankers last year as well. Gotta wonder what kid lost it and does he even remember it? Got an old railroad type lock that takes that kind of key also, nice digs, even nicer looking site!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions