Finally!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a White's XLT about two months ago -- my first quality metal detector. I have an old Radio Shack that I shelved long when I spent most of my time digging junk with it. I'm a history buff and I live in an area on Long Island with a good amount of activity dating back through the 1700s, in some cases even the 1600s, so I've been hoping to find some old coins and relics. Finally, after two months of digging every modern penny and clad coin that sent a signal, I've hit a bit of paydirt (no pun intended). And man, it feels great!

I often detect at a local park that was heavily traveled during the 1800s. There's a good amount of trash (it's pulltab and screw cap central) and every coin I've found has been modern, save for a lone wheatie. I was encouraged though by a few relics I found -- particularly a really neat old saddle buckle that came up complete and in excellent condition, two inches down next to a tree root. I also dug up a rusted old hoe blade about nine inches down, as well as some other pulley-type pieces of equipment. There's also a lot of buried broken pottery and bricks and stuff. Yet, no coins.

Then yesterday, after several hours of digging clad coins, lots of pulltabs and a few more pieces of big iron, I was about to call it a day. I had my pack about 100 feet away under a tree, so as I walked toward it I continued to sweep, and blam! I get a huge signal reading in the high 70s penny-dime range. In fact, there's so much activity, I'm thinking there's more than one coin. So even though my wife is waiting at home and about to kill me, I dig. Thank God! (Sorry, darling.)

I'm sure that for you veterans, this is old hat, but for me it was huge. I dig down about four or five inches, and up comes a nice big large cent. It was laying vertically, so it was tough to find. Seeing its size and wiping away the dirt to see that "One Cent" on the back was a great thrill. Then I scan the hole again and get another signal. I dig some more, and pull out a second large cent!

Both were really worn -- the second one is almost entirely illegible, and the first I dug is only legible on the back. But based on its design, particularly the bow pattern, it looks like a design from the early to mid 1800s. Neat!

So, this was a great day of hunting for me. I can't wait to go back, because this is a big park, and I think I've maybe found a "hot spot"! Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Cheers,
Brendan

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread