Finally!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a White's XLT about two months ago -- my first quality metal detector. I have an old Radio Shack that I shelved long when I spent most of my time digging junk with it. I'm a history buff and I live in an area on Long Island with a good amount of activity dating back through the 1700s, in some cases even the 1600s, so I've been hoping to find some old coins and relics. Finally, after two months of digging every modern penny and clad coin that sent a signal, I've hit a bit of paydirt (no pun intended). And man, it feels great!

I often detect at a local park that was heavily traveled during the 1800s. There's a good amount of trash (it's pulltab and screw cap central) and every coin I've found has been modern, save for a lone wheatie. I was encouraged though by a few relics I found -- particularly a really neat old saddle buckle that came up complete and in excellent condition, two inches down next to a tree root. I also dug up a rusted old hoe blade about nine inches down, as well as some other pulley-type pieces of equipment. There's also a lot of buried broken pottery and bricks and stuff. Yet, no coins.

Then yesterday, after several hours of digging clad coins, lots of pulltabs and a few more pieces of big iron, I was about to call it a day. I had my pack about 100 feet away under a tree, so as I walked toward it I continued to sweep, and blam! I get a huge signal reading in the high 70s penny-dime range. In fact, there's so much activity, I'm thinking there's more than one coin. So even though my wife is waiting at home and about to kill me, I dig. Thank God! (Sorry, darling.)

I'm sure that for you veterans, this is old hat, but for me it was huge. I dig down about four or five inches, and up comes a nice big large cent. It was laying vertically, so it was tough to find. Seeing its size and wiping away the dirt to see that "One Cent" on the back was a great thrill. Then I scan the hole again and get another signal. I dig some more, and pull out a second large cent!

Both were really worn -- the second one is almost entirely illegible, and the first I dug is only legible on the back. But based on its design, particularly the bow pattern, it looks like a design from the early to mid 1800s. Neat!

So, this was a great day of hunting for me. I can't wait to go back, because this is a big park, and I think I've maybe found a "hot spot"! Wish me luck. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Cheers,
Brendan

Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brendan! WoW! Great story! Pictures! We LOVE to see those pictures!!!!!

Welcome to the forum! Awesome finds!

Good Luck to ya!!

Nana ;)

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum and Congrats on finding the large cents ! Good Luck in your future hunts.

Huntin' 59er

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Sweet find! Two at once even!

Even though I've been coin hunting for 30 years, it has all been in OR and WA, and I have yet to find a single large cent.

Color me green.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow...i wish to get some large cents soon...i not contempt with my bad colonial coin

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Congratulations, two of them WOW! ;D So was your wife mad at you after you showed her the coins?
I hope you find more coins like that,happy hunting.

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the support everyone! Glad you found it as interesting as I did.

Here are a few pics (including the buckle). They're pretty lousy, for three reasons:

1.) I've only given the coins a light cleaning. They're so worn and corroded, I was afraid to do more. I'm going to run them through an ultrasonic this week and see if that helps;

2.) Some sides are tough to make out even with the naked eye; and

3.) I need to learn how to shoot things like these up close. Any suggestions for photography? I use a Canon PowerShot A520.

Thanks!

--Brendan

Attachments

• Large Cents 05-20-06 01 small.JPG
    Large Cents 05-20-06 01 small.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 434
  • Large Cents 05-20-06 02 small.JPG
    Large Cents 05-20-06 02 small.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 436
  • Saddle Buckle April 06 01 small.JPG
    Saddle Buckle April 06 01 small.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 425
OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife was only slightly mad. It's a little easier when you don't come home empty-handed! However I'm sure I'll be making it up somewhere down the road!

Thanks again, everyone.

--B

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice story and well worth the investment that XLT....Congrats on the large cent! 8)

OP
OP
Brendan M.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That reminds me, I have a question about the site I'm digging:

It seems once you dig about 4-5 inches down (where I found the coins and most of the iron relics), there's a pretty consistent layer from there of red brick and pottery shards, broken glass and TONS of clam shells. What's the deal with the shells? Are they the remains of Victorian-era clambakes or something? Mind you, I live by the ocean, and even I'm a little surprised by just how many shells are buried there.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

--B

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Congrats on the great finds! Alot of people post that they find their best on their last swing of the day! Hope your wife wasnt too mad!

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds and don't worry u just have 2 ween her slowly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread