May 20 - schoolyard finds

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Got out for 2 - 1/2 hours yesterday. I had to run an errand and stopped at a elementary school I saw in my travels back toward home. It was a beautiful day out there to be Th'ing and I didn't find anything real valuable but had a lot of digs, a lot of fun, and did find a few interesting things.

I dug 65 coins , face value $5.97.
I found several pieces of fake jewelry plus one sterling silver ring. It's a thick band with flowers on it all the way around. I also found someone's gold tooth. Found this in front of the swings. This is the second gold tooth I have found in front of swings and can only imagine how it got knocked out. I dug a small brass metal "North American Hunting Club", a nice Boy Scout (Weeblo) necktie holder with beautiful patina, a Canadian Looney $1.00 coin. This is the second one this year and they have come out of the ground gold color (not tarnished) which made my heart jump a bit for a minute until I figured out it was only a "Looney" (and not a gold coin).

One of the 14 quarters I dug is very strange. If anyone has any input here, it would be appreciated. It's a 1988 D quarter but it seems to be "Bronzed". It came out the ground with low tarnish but unfortunately while I was cleaning up my finds at home, I scrubbed on it before I realized this bronze coating was on it. I did dull it a bit on the front on Washington's head from my scrugie scubber pad. It's definitly a clad quarter but it does beem just a little thicker than a normal quarter. Maybe not, but the rim looks thicker but I will they to locate another regular 1988 to compare. This just might be a variation of the striking dies for that period of time?

Good luck to you all!

Smiles!
BDoo

Attachments

• May 20-1.jpg
    May 20-1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 568
  • May 20-2.jpg
    May 20-2.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 537
  • Looney.jpg
    Looney.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 507
  • Bronze 25 Front.jpg
    Bronze 25 Front.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 534
  • Bronze 25 Back.jpg
    Bronze 25 Back.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 535
Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Nice finds...and gold is gold! LOL...Thats alot of clad in one day....my school kids must be poor (or careful)...I never find that much at the playground.

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Nice finds Bdoo....Gold is good in any form. I found a 74 canadian nickel a couple weeks ago much like your quarter.What I first thought was toning turned out to be some light plating giving it a glowing gold tone???? H.H.....Joe

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Glad you got out for a bit Boobydoo. That was alot of clad and I agree with Gypsy....I hardly find anything at the local schools here. I did find a gold charm last month, but as far as clad....about 20 cents a visit is average! :-\

Happy Hunting,
Moon

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds BD! Funny about the tooth but hey, it's gold. HH, Mike

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice lot of finds...hope you get more

-GC

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Thanks for all the nice comments.

We have a lot of schools around here
and yes, some areas here are very well to do
(IE Bloomfield Hills, Mich, ETC)

These were found at a Troy school.
Mostly in the grassy areas.
The wood chipped play structure areas were all hunted out.
I still went over them but found
maybe 10% or less of the finds in them.

I also had 3 multiple coin finds.
1. 3 quarters
2. 2 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel
3. 2 quarters wrapped in school paper.

The ground is really soft from all the rain
and that makes the digging easier/quicker I think.
I use an 8" army bayonet for digging and a lot of times
I can dig the plug and extract the coin with my left hand
pick it up and put it in my pouch
without setting my detector down or getting on my knees.
That speeds things up too.
Maybe 20 seconds from signal and cenetering - to stomping back on the GID and swinging again.

I had even a better haul today but don't have time to clean my finds yet or organize a new post. I detected for 3 -1/2 hours today.
Maybe tomorrow I'll get it posted.

Smiles!
BDoo
Best of luck to you all.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the soil conditions caused your quarter to stain. There is one particular place I hunt that all the silver colored coins come out rose pink! Smithers loves them for some reason? Monty

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darn there you go again, finding all those great finds. I gotta come back up to Mich.
Was at Henry Fords Museum a couple weeks ago. I knew I should have went to Troy!
HH, ringfinder

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks for sharing and nice finds, the north american hunting club token is actually a jacket pull, for connecting to the zipper, still in use today. i get them free a few times a year in their mailings as I'm a life member....thanks again and HH

OP
OP
Boobydoo

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi Ricky!

Yes!
It is cheap looking, not like an actual medal,
so I think your right about the jacket pull thing.
Thanks muchly for taking the time to figure this out and comment.

Thanks too TRK5capt. Appreciate the visit!

Smiles!
BDoo

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found a bunch a good stuff Scooby!!