editIMG_0165.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,238
  • editIMG_0189.jpg
    editIMG_0189.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,235

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
drumking12 said:
Alright guys, this weekend was my third time out at my friends ranch and I came out the best. I found a 4.25" COMPLETE knife blade!!!!! I also found a another broken point. I'll show yall some of the stuff we have found the last couple times out there. Please leave you input as I am still learning and absorbing all of this. I'm addicted!!!
Addiction ? That would make addicted. Real nice finds. Looks like you all have a nice site. Congratulations, Thanks for showing us. What state do you live in ? Jeff

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure can get in your blood,
nice finds,
Fossis................

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Man oh man it looks like there is a good chance you could find some real killers there. Is the base on your big knife broken, or is it made that way? I can see some Cody influence on that third pic. Maybe a scotty, or midland, possibly a firstview. Keep at it and you'll find one even better. From the looks of the flint I'd guess that your in the southern united states
badandy

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
I do live in the southern states. Central Texas to be exact.

Badandy,

The base isn't broken, it's actually chipped all the way around but it is thicker there because it doesn't come to a sharp edge like the rest of the blade. Thanks for the input guys.

glasskeeper

Oct 29, 2006
Central, Vermont
There's nothing like a good addiction and with finds like that, it won't be long! I've been looking for over ten years and it's still a rush when I find a nice arrowhead. With me it started out just wanting to find one complete arrowhead and it hasn't stopped yet. Very nice finds! Good luck hunting! Jim

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for all the compliments everyone. Do any of you have any idea what these points could be or there age? Or maybe even a good book to look up things like this? I wen to half priced books today and they didn't have anything

Thanks,
Rick

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
So I think I might have identifies it. From my Overstreet guide, it looks like either a Pipe creek knife, or a fountain bar knife. I think it's more likely to be a pipe creek because fountain bars are found in the north west, not Texas.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Its neither, both are arrow points. Yours is a strangely worked knife or utilitarian tool, very possibly a salvaged piece. Unfortunately, the natives didn't have blueprints for point types and it's common for some to not fit into a distinctive form. Another thing to consider is that these are tools, and some are developed for unique tasks. Sometimes you will find tools that serve a multitude of functions, prehistoric Swiss Army knife..sorta. In fact, most "Knives" I'm sure did serve more than one function.

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
Matt,

Are you sure that the pipe creek isn't a knife? Overstreet has the description as "An unusual knife form having a single corner notch at one basal corner...."

I am not trying to contradict you, it's just this book is the only place I have found any info on the pipe creek and I honestly don't know anything more about it. I appreciate your incite.

Rick

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I don't recommend O-street for much..other than a pretty picture book. The Pipe Creek are generally somewhat diminutive size, and are often found with arrow points (Edwards, etc). They highly resemble a single notched point, and it's entirely possible they served both functions. While it's stated that some are used as tools (knives), many have been found with impact fractures and other signs of having been used as a projectile. I found a cache of similar (single notched arrow / dart shaped points) a few years back and mistook them for Pipe Creek, but now disagree with my earlier conclusion.

Perino postulates that they could have been used as a fletching tool, but I don't share the same sentiments, as just about any spall could have served that purpose.

To help ascertain what your knife / tool is, you would have to try and figure out what function it was made for. Is it complete? Has it been salvaged? Does it show use wear, and if so, where? Does it have any distinctive manufacturing traits that could help you isolate a certain cultural affiliation? Was it found in any context with other known cultural items? This is the fun part about typology!

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for theory. I can tell you that it was found in the same field with the other points also shown. There is a mound on the property but I have not been able to dig it as it is next to a spring fed pond that is full because of the rain. As far as I can tell, it isn't broken. It appears to be chip on all sides. This is great!! It's kind of like putting the puzzle pieces of history together. Thanks again for all the advice.

Can you post pics of the similar points that you found?

Rick

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'll have to dig through some boxes and see if I can find the cache of the single notched points again, if I didn't get rid of them? Over the years I have found several caches, but those were one of the more interesting. One of the other "odd" caches I found that sticks in my head is a grouping of triangular knives / tools found together with an odd form. They had triangular blades, but the hafting area was the interesting part. One side of the hafting area was concave, while the other was convex. The flaking pattern suggests that they were very early, but without finding them in direct context with another known form, that's only speculation. I showed them to Perino, he got a kick out of them but didn't quite know what to think of them either. Included with them was a tool that had adze / chisel useage on one end, one edge was HEAVILY ground (backed), and the bottom was a cutting edge. They were all thin, well made and from 2" - 4" or so long.

OP
OP
D

drumking12

Apr 28, 2007
That sounds awesome!! You mentioned that the flaking pattern looked early. What do you look for in the flaking pattern that suggests the time period the artifact was created during?

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are super sweet finds!

;) RR