What's new

finding pennies

treasure island

Tenderfoot
Joined
Aug 31, 2011
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
lexington,nc
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi, i've been detecting for a while and have recently purchased a fisher f2, it's a great detector, i am finding a large amount of pennies, just clad and a few dimes, the pennies fall under the zink column, is this normal? thanks for any help
 
If they are 1983 or newer they are comprised mostly of zinc so yes that's normal...you can notch them out if you want. Then pennies earlier than that which are copper will still be detectable and ring up higher on your vdi...probably in the 70ish range.
 
thanks, i was wondering if this was the norm. i have also noticed that a gold ring of 14 k will also fall under the zinc column and i figured i would have to dig those pennies to get to the rings, thanks alot for the help
 
treasure island said:
thanks, i was wondering if this was the norm. i have also noticed that a gold ring of 14 k will also fall under the zinc column and i figured i would have to dig those pennies to get to the rings, thanks alot for the help

Smaller gold rings can ring up foil range and the bigger they are they can show up as pulltabs and screwcaps.
 
People don't really go to much effort to retrieve pennies when they drop them, I guess. If you ever lost a penny from about 1980 on here in this part of Colorado, I've probably found it. Also, if you ever fired a gun here in the mountains from about the 1860's to the present, I probably have your bullet. I won't even go into square nails. Those 3 items are the strongest and most common hits I get here.
 
I dig all pennies. Remember, Indian Heads usually go under the zinc numbers on your detector. They are composed of a different alloy. Any deep ones might be an Indian Head. Good luck friend! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom