Finding Shell Fragments

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question on shells. I live near the coast in Delaware. I've only been on one dig and found some flakes and chips. Nearby, I found random clam shell fragments about 6 to 12" deep. I recently got permission on another property that seems like it would be good. The owner said when they were digging a post hole, they pulled up some clam shell bits.

My question is, when you find clam shells buried in the soil like this, are they indicative of old Native American land use? Or is there some natural process that random clam shell bits end up in the soil?

Upvote 3

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Clam shells and other shells have been used to amend the soil with minerals to improve crops for I would say centuries. So probably indicative of habitation by someone.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Delaware, both could be true. Natives and colonists used the clams and oysters en masse. Also, Delaware has extensive fossil beds which contain fossilized shells.

OP
OP
G

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Delaware, both could be true. Natives and colonists used the clams and oysters en masse. Also, Delaware has extensive fossil beds which contain fossilized she
Clam shells and other shells have been used to amend the soil with minerals to improve crops for I would say centuries. So probably indicative of habitation by someone.
Interesting. Historic aerials don’t show any old farms on the land, but it is near a creek. I’m supposing it may have been Native American.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here the mussel shells were piled 20 feet deep. It was ancient mans trash pile and sometimes its burial ground.
Colonials also used to carry these shells and make buttons if not fossils they are there by man.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Interesting. Historic aerials don’t show any old farms on the land, but it is near a creek. I’m supposing it may have been Native American.
How far back do the aerials go for your area? Delaware was settled pretty early on by Europeans.

I generally like shell layers or some noticeable shell bits in the soil. I've dug on sites in quite a few places, and only once did we hit a shell layer that a local digger said was a bad sign for finding relics. (Not quite fossil shells, but it was the top of a shell bed that was usually sterile until you got down to fossils.)

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it’s worth shell around here (ks) is about as good a sign as finding flakes, but sounds like costal areas have a little different situations

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
E191BD76-3284-4FCC-A85F-72F41BF5D864.jpeg
I often come across plowed up refuse pits in fields I walk. It’s a good sign. These are coastal sites and the pits are primarily shellfish refuse. In one such field, the soil is no better than beach sand. Combined with lime from the shell refuse, and the non acidic sandy soil, I’m able to find pottery sherds preserved, from broken pottery tossed into the refuse. Otherwise, pottery is rare here, due to acidic soil.

In general, if I see a lot of shell scatter in sections of a field, I do generally take that as a good sign. One can also find shell awls/pins, usually whittled down from whelk shell columns, and finding many whelk columns is itself often indicative of the production of white wampum, the whelk columns used to make white beads, the deep purple of quahog shells used to make the more prized purple wampum.

These whelk columns were found at a wampum producing work station. Either white disc beads or white tubular beads would be the result….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread