tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up at a small church thrift shop for 50 cents. This little cup is an example to ID silver when not seeing a mark in the beginning. When I spotted it I noted the thinner construction and how easily it dented. That was the first clues that got my attention. The oxidation looked right, but in some of the areas of it, there was some of the bluish tarnish that's so typical of plated silver. I sat with it in my hand and looked all over it, thinking there gotta be a mark somewhere. I squeezed the top rim and it flexed easier than if it was say plated copper. With my thumb I began rubbing the bottom and there it was oh so faint the letters OWL. I knew then it was produced by TOWLE. Below I could hardly see the letters ing. Then I became 100% certain this is a good clean piece of sterling silver for dirt cheap.

Attachments

• 20240418_074957.jpg
    20240418_074957.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240418_074950.jpg
    20240418_074950.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240418_075027.jpg
    20240418_075027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all good advice for things to look for. It has taken me some time to learn them with some mistakes along the way. Do you think you would have taken it home if you hadn't found the mark?

There was a time I would have and I ended up buying a bunch of things that were not silver. Then I stopped taking anything not clearly marked and probably left some treasures behind. Now I will take the risk and am not wrong too much anymore. Color and construction are very helpful clues.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister in law is fixing to have a yard sale and was asking for donations. The purpose of her yard sale is to raise money for her medical missions trip to Ethiopia. I have been trying to get stuff together for her and came across a tote full of silver looking items. I have been trying to identify the silver but think it may be easier just to let it go unless its plainly marked.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister in law is fixing to have a yard sale and was asking for donations. The purpose of her yard sale is to raise money for her medical missions trip to Ethiopia. I have been trying to get stuff together for her and came across a tote full of silver looking items. I have been trying to identify the silver but think it may be easier just to let it go unless its plainly marked.
Post some pictures of what you have. You might have something of decent value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread