ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you. Have not found the machine, but did find the exact shovel that keeps me from 90% of my prior kneeling. I my lesche at 31 inches was too short. I bought two shovels from the big box hardware store. One with a longer 38" wooden handle, but too big of a shovel head, and a short one with the right sized shovel head, but too short of a wooden handle. Simply removed the shove heads and switched handles. Now have a long 38" wooden handled with the smaller 6" wide shovel head. This along with my 800 coiltek 10 x 5 nox coil and my Steve's rods carbon fiber shaft, I have shed weight and can now hunt much, much longer for a guy my age. The shovel was a big improvement because getting up and down was wearing me out. Now I can dig a plug standing up, remove the plug, use my detector to see if target is in plug or hole and either scoop more out of hole or halve the plug and find the target.

try a "trench" shovel... some big box stores carry them with limited selection... but i have seen nice ones from time to time.

There are nice one out there... the best ones are available at a irrigation / lawn sprinkler worker suppliers.

The head width varies on models from 3 to 6 inches...
and handles made from all types of materials... wood... steel... fiberglass.. and the handle can be trimmed down to a preferred length if so desired.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post here!

I always try to hit a good spot from several different angles. At least 90? from the first direction I originally hunted it at. When I find some really good spots I hit it from every angle possible. Moisture makes a big difference as well.

I use XP Deus, Equinox 800 and then the CTX 3030 on good producing spots before I move on. Then often come back several months later and can find more. Weather effects and soil conditions sometimes can help to!

Why thank you BBH...

Glad to see someone out there "gets" what i babble about :)

OP
OP
pulltabfelix

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of what you are saying here is true if you think of the coil as being stationary over targets of varying target strengths, but your explanation doesn't take into account the fact that targets are detected in a timed sequence as the coil sweeps across the ground kind of like the coil is stationary and the targets are moving under it like a conveyor belt. When you think of it in that context, faster recovery speed certainly does improve adjacent target unmasking because it completes the previous target's processing in time to pickup the next target that is passing under coil. Or another way to look at it, the faster recovery speed enables you to resolve targets that are much closer together on the "conveyor belt" or on a conveyor belt that is moving faster (coil sweep speed). Whether the target signal is strong or weak does not affect how quickly it takes to process the target signal or what the machine "decides" to process, it simply processes the targets in first come, first served sequence as it encounters them during the coil sweep. But you are absolutely right that weaker, small or deep target signals may get truncated and become harder to pick up at higher recovery speeds, thus in effect, reducing detection depth.
A little off topic, but reminds me of this Lucy episode:

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's one detectorist in my area who I've seen hitting the parks. He has an 800 to my 600. The only time I find anything more than a penny is if he didn't get there first.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pulltabfelix, agreed, longer handle, better, although, MY problem was that most often I also carry a smaller plastic bucket for trash, having only two hands, bit of a problem. Even when I had used or tried to use a shovel, I still had to get down to find and retrieve the target. I know it sounds like whining, so....down on one knee, digging knife, pinpointer, up again. As long as I can STILL make it UP, coffee first, then metal detect.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try a "trench" shovel... some big box stores carry them with limited selection... but i have seen nice ones from time to time.

There are nice one out there... the best ones are available at a irrigation / lawn sprinkler worker suppliers.

The head width varies on models from 3 to 6 inches...
and handles made from all types of materials... wood... steel... fiberglass.. and the handle can be trimmed down to a preferred length if so desired.
If you don,t like the shape of the shovel blade and you,re handy with tools,a small angle grinder is your friend.Don,t try this if you,re not handy with tools or don,t know what a angle grinder is. It can be a treacherous thing if used improperly.How do I know? Heh,heh,heh!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread