What's new

Findings that dont make sense

pointshunter

Full Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2013
Messages
146
Reaction score
48
Golden Thread
0
Location
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just read an article about how a lot of archeological sites that find tools made from stone that isn't from there one said the projectiles were made from a type that only existed 1500 miles from the site where the tools were-found and another 500 miles from where the point was found i am inerested in hearing about pieces people on here found that were strange because the rock they were made from isnt from the area in which it was foundfound
 
Upvote 0
image-2898604051.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-18851948.webp
    image-18851948.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 135
  • image-3898822532.webp
    image-3898822532.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image-942287089.webp
    image-942287089.webp
    59 KB · Views: 136
  • image-4197767976.webp
    image-4197767976.webp
    49.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Not really strange...just evidence of a far reaching trade network.
I found this hardstone celt in central Florida..the closest outcrop of the material is in northern Georgia.

ForumRunner_20130222_111722.webp



ForumRunner_20130222_111846.webp
 
Don't you ever wonder how or y they traveled so far? I am blown away sometimes by the how the native Americans did all that they did do I try to read a lot about them to learn but what I have found is that I'm left with many unanswered questions. Many of which start out with why.
 
Here is a Black Chert Bi-face that has been retouched. There are pot lid fractures on it from fire. It is not from my area here in southwestern Connecticut where quartz is the most common material used.
 

Attachments

  • 101_5650.webp
    101_5650.webp
    370.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 101_5649.webp
    101_5649.webp
    377.8 KB · Views: 120
image-414895781.webp



image-245454300.webp



image-1702348503.webp
 

Attachments

  • image-3416922575.webp
    image-3416922575.webp
    17.6 KB · Views: 118
I think alot of these items and material did not make one straight through trip.. it was a process of shorter trips that overtime spread things quite a distance.. JMO.
 
I've always said that trade was far more extensive than most folks would believe. I can give examples from Oklahoma, such as the copper from the great lakes area at Spiro Mound. In western Oklahoma we find a lot of Alibates flint from 200 miles away at the quarry north of Amarillo. We find obsidian and turquoise from New Mexico. Shells from the ocean. These finds are from sites that were active about a 1,000 years ago. You could probably make a good livin as a trader and I doubt that anybody messed with them as that would cut off the supply of goods. Everytime I see one of those petroglyphs of the 'hump-backed flute player' or 'Kokapelli' I like to believe that represents a pack carrying trader, and this is one of his stops, and he plays a flute on his approach to let people know he's here to trade and they won't skewer him with an arrow. Nothin to back that up and just my thoughts on it.
 
Barter and trade well established. A couple sites near me had multi sourced and crafted points together. Not stratified in layers over time. Two sites about a hundred miles apart and a couple thousand years old. Stuff was shuffled all over the continent.
 
That makes sence to me RGINN It might also lead one to believe the stories of his promiscuous ways.
 
Im amazed by the things I find wish I would have went to school for archeology it has been my dream since my first find. I figure the trading must have been extensive as to get items 100s of miles from whence they came
 
Im amazed by the things I find wish I would have went to school for archeology it has been my dream since my first find. I figure the trading must have been extensive as to get items 100s of miles from whence they came

Contact your local historical or archaeological society... most will take volunteers on field work. You can make some great connections and learn alot. And if you ever decide to further your education in that area you can use that time for credit.
 
GatorBoy said:
I think alot of these items and material did not make one straight through trip.. it was a process of shorter trips that overtime spread things quite a distance.. JMO.

I agree . Maybe they were traded for other items or whatnot and came a little ways at a time even that would be a great feet being that they are breakable
 
GatorBoy said:
Contact your local historical or archaeological society... most will take volunteers on field work. You can make some great connections and learn alot. And if you ever decide to further your education in that area you can use that time for credit.

Thank you that is a great idea . But the schooling thing would be out of the question raising my 4 boys takes most of my free time I'm just hoping one of them catches the hunting bug like me and furthers their education because of it.
 
Yep. Was it like a foreign coin collection or travel stickers on a suitcase. Or representation of allies. Part of the interest is not having all the answers.
With things known to be traded between the americas and tales of pieces of ships rigging predating columbas sp. A great trade would have existed.
 
Something like a quarry blank may have been traded and tools made when it reached its destination.
 
pointshunter said:
Thank you that is a great idea . But the schooling thing would be out of the question raising my 4 boys takes most of my free time I'm just hoping one of them catches the hunting bug like me and furthers their education because of it.

But I'm defiantly going to contact the archeological society that would be a great thing to volunteer on a dig also I've been trying to get a hold of someone from the historical society just found out they are only around the last weekend of every month plan on going tommarow
 
Well of course GatorBoy, it would have advantages for all concerned to have your daughter hook up with a trader. Well, maybe except for the girl.
 
GatorBoy said:
Something like a quarry blank may have been traded and tools made when it reached its destination.

That would make sense maybe you guys on here should write a book I've learned more on here in last week than the last 2 books I've read again thank you guys
 
It will give you a whole different perspective on the are you live in.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom