Finds from last weekend

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
While relic hunting for pre Civil War camps I will occassionally stumble upon fur trade sites from time to time. Here are the results from last weekends dig. I would guestimate this site to be dated about 1830's-40's. I just wanted to say hi to everyone here on the forum. The posts on here are absolutely awesome and from a much earlier time period than mine. Look forward to learning as much as I can on this site. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• P1000280.JPG
    P1000280.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 841
  • P1000279.JPG
    P1000279.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 819
  • P1000277.JPG
    P1000277.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 828
  • P1000276.JPG
    P1000276.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 829
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats how he got his ...other name"D-Man",good to see ya over here Steve!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
[/quote]

Nice finds!

I like the Dragoon buttons too but they're tough to find.

[/quote]

Yes sir! They are very hard to find and you have an outstanding Dragoon button collection!!! If you don't mind me asking...what State were these found in?

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
Nice finds!
I like the Dragoon buttons too but they're tough to find.

[/quote]
Yes sir! They are very hard to find and you have an outstanding Dragoon button collection!!! If you don't mind me asking...what State were these found in?
[/quote]

Thanks for the comment Flintlock.
No, I have no problem of you asking for regional find location.

I have found these "D" buttons on early trail sites along the Platte River in Nebraska.

Here's a pic of a few more and good luck in your future hunts.

IW Hunter

Attachments

• DragoonNebr2.JPG
    DragoonNebr2.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 505

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!Thanks for sharing!!

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Major C. Whartons route was along the Platte River while heading to the Pawnee Villages in 1844. Col. S.W.Kearny took this route as well in 1845. Just curious, was this a very large camp? I'm sorry but you've got my interest now! :wink:

OP
OP
flintlock

flintlock

Aug 6, 2007
Most all these are Dragoon buttons with the exception of 3 silver plated infantry cuffs which I think they wore on their jacket as well. Found in a camp situated on a hillside, beautiful spot. Both the First Dragoon Martingale and the Buckle Tongue I've been told are very rare indeed! The Martingale actually has the number 19 in the center, someone used a punchet tool and punched the number, very unique!

Attachments

• P1000338.JPG
    P1000338.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 502
  • P1000339.JPG
    P1000339.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 511

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
flintlock said:
Major C. Whartons route was along the Platte River while heading to the Pawnee Villages in 1844. Col. S.W.Kearny took this route as well in 1845. Just curious, was this a very large camp? I'm sorry but you've got my interest now! :wink:

One of the sites I hunt is very near a Pawnee village site but I have no idea how large the camp may have been due to agricultural land leveling to part of the site. I have found numerous items here but other than buttons I have found very little which I can verify as being military in origin.

Because it is an excellent camp location I have also found buttons there that predate and postdate the Dragoon buttons. One of the most rare button types is pictured below.

Attachments

• V2a.jpg
    V2a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 485

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
flintlock said:
Most all these are Dragoon buttons with the exception of 3 silver plated infantry cuffs which I think they wore on their jacket as well. Found in a camp situated on a hillside, beautiful spot. Both the First Dragoon Martingale and the Buckle Tongue I've been told are very rare indeed! The Martingale actually has the number 19 in the center, someone used a punchet tool and punched the number, very unique!

Very impressive assemblage flintlock. :icon_thumleft:

I have to agree with the rarity of Martingale and buckle tongue with the Martingale being a super find!

IW Hunter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IndianWarsHunter said:
flintlock said:

One of the sites I hunt is very near a Pawnee village site but I have no idea how large the camp may have been due to agricultural land leveling to part of the site. I have found numerous items here but other than buttons I have found very little which I can verify as being military in origin.

Because it is an excellent camp location I have also found buttons there that predate and postdate the Dragoon buttons. One of the most rare button types is pictured below.

Voltiguers!!!That my friend is the #1 button on my list to find!!!Very nice!!!!

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
kuger said:

LOL, thanks kuger, you remind me of myself. It's always nice to find any early military button but adding a new type to your collection is really special.

IW Hunter

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IndianWarsHunter said:
kuger said:

LOL, thanks kuger, you remind me of myself. It's always nice to find any early military button but adding a new type to your collection is really special.

IW Hunter

I agree!I was fortunate to get one marked off of my list this year that I have been after for a very long time

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,305840.0.html
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,310301.0.html

IndianWarsHunter

Jul 29, 2009
kuger said:
I agree!I was fortunate to get one marked off of my list this year that I have been after for a very long time

Super button kuger ...good looking specimen!

I'll have to admit I have never seen one of those critters and do not think I will put it on my list, lol.

Chances of finding a NYL out here on the Plains would be pretty remote.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread