Finds from yesterday's hunt at the town poor farm - relics and a sharp 2 center

BTV Digger

Jul 24, 2014
Northern VT
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro; Fisher F2; Tesoro Silver UMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi all. Well, after a much needed 2 week vacation to California, I'm back home in northern New England. Problem is, I work 13 out of the next 14 days (self-induced pain I might add - covering for others' vacation now). Since this was the only day I could get some solid detecting in I was out the door at 600 am sharp. Started at the place I nabbed the strange Egyptian coin several weeks back and within 5 minutes a car pulled up and stopped. Only a few camps on this old road, and lo and behold it was one of the owners. Had a great chat with him and after a few minutes he told me about an old cellar hole back up in the woods on his property that was once the Town Poor Farm back in the 1800s and to have at it. I'd seen this spot on the 1857 map, but figured 1) I'd have to find the property owner at some point, and 2) those old maps aren't always accurate and if I was successful on #1 I'd also need to do some serious searching. Well, problem solved my friends! He pointed me right to it - about 300 yds back into the woods. Spent most of the morning there (~ 4 hours). Finds were fairly thin, but I did nab a few nice keepers including an intact ball button and a really sharp looking 1865 2 center. Also pulled a decent looking suspender clip along with a few other relics. Bazinga of the day was the item at lower left on the green felt in the wide shot. Only the top (green portion) was sticking out of the dirt when it popped out and I was sure I'd nabbed another largie. What disappointment! I just had to laugh. Thickness on the edge is exactly the same as a braided hair LC and rang up a 75. Go figure. As a side note, I hear sometimes those ball buttons are referred to as Zuoave Buttons from the Civil War, but looking online, there's also references to just plain ball buttons. Any way to know one way or the other? Experts, chime is as time permits!

John

Wideshot2.png 2 center1.png reverse1.png Ball button 1.png suspender clip.png Town farm cellar hole.png Town farm cellar hole.png

Upvote 18

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !!! Really like all, but particularly that 1865
2 cent.....very nice condition too.

Congrats on a fine hunt !!
RVR

gold panner

May 22, 2016
vermont
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug
at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Any coins in our area at a cellar hole is an accomplishment.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pretty nice finds, I'd hit it again sometime after a decent rain

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that green two penny coin. Sweet old buckle too. Nice spot in the woods. Hope there's more to be had.:headbang:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking copper you got, along with the other relics. That would scratch the itch for the time being, and something to dream about will working away the next stretch of time.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice batch of finds. That 2 Cent piece is in great shape. Its always nice to dig one of those.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You had some great timing to run into the owner as you did...and it paid off. That's a very nice collection of 1800's relics. The 2 center is sweet! Congrats.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice relic hunt! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions