Finds of your area

relix

Greenie
May 12, 2008
I was just wondering how many points and other objects you all find on a normal outting and which state most of you all look/live in. I hunt Tennessee and Virginia and usually come up with several pieces. I will say I find a lot of damaged points, but I usually find at least 10-15 complete pieces. This is surface hunting of course. I would like to be able to share some pictures of my collection with you all, but my girlfriend currently has the camera. I usually try to hunt as many of my sites as possible during me weekly outings, because there is always a disc or plow running through them. I was just told the other day that my best woodland spot is now in timothy grass and probably will never be plowed again. That site was good for 20-30 points per visit. I am gaining access to new places daily however. I have found the best site I have ever searched this year. my girlfriend and I found at least 75 points within 2 hours in a tobbacco field. Would love to hear how many artifacts other states are putting out. Happy hunting. -relix

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I guess I need to move to Tennessee. lol

I do most of my hunting in Scioto and Lawrence counties in Ohio and Greenup and Lewis counties in Kentucky which all border along the Ohio River. This area is rich in Indian sites and artifacts. We have numerous Ft Ancient village sites within a 35 mile radius of my house, plus lots of mounds from the Woodland period and a large Archaic influence as well. The one thing we don't have a lot of is Paleo. It is found on occasion, but not in large quantities or in any well known campsites.

There was a time, about 15 to 20 years ago, when I could go out and find anywhere from 10 to 50 good points in a days hunt along with numerous Scrapers and Tools of all kinds, including Stone Tools. Now, with very few farmers actually plowing their fields and with most of them just discing the ground it doesn't bring up near the artifacts they once did and I'm happy if I come home with one good point on each trip. Now, my Ft Ancient sites produce a lot better than that and I usually always find a nice grouping of artifacts on those, but that usually includes the Points, Drills, Beads, Bone Tools, Scrapers, and odds & ends. I have been hunting since I was 6 years old, 43 years in all, and have amassed a personally found collection of around 15,000 pieces for an average of around 350 pieces each year.

Here is a link to my gallery if you'd like to see my collection. This hasn't been updated in a couple of years, so some of new pieces aren't on there, but you can get an idea of what I have.

http://www.dirtbrothers.org/gallery/valentine/

unitas

Feb 24, 2008
Northern Ohio
I hunt in northwest Ohio.I am lucky and very happy if I find one point on a hunt.If I had to break it down I'd say an average hunt depending on the site may yield a handfull of pottery sherds and maybe a point or scraper.Some days are better and may yield several points and a stone tool or two.Ive been hunting for around ten years and probably my best days have yielded 20 or more artifacts but those days are too far and few between.Like I said I get happy if I just find one point or one nice rim sherd,It's about the hunt and peace of mind I get out there. Happy hunting.

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Hi,
I usually hunt the Ohio river valley on both sides.I hunt from Clermont to Larewence on the O hio side.Kentucky sides from Bracken to Greenup.I,ve been hunting since 73.I pretty much agree with everything Dorkfish said.When I was younger it was nothing to go out and find eight to ten per outing.I used to have a rule,I would not go home until I found one.I changed that rule .I must admit I get shutout quite often,but I love being outdoors so no trip is ever a waste of time.I,ve found as many as fifthteen in a day but those days are rare.

Jeff

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I didn't find these MDing but I thought I would share them with you. The large bead necklace was a gift. The rest I found. I found the knife blade in a creek near here. I mounted it on a piece of manzanita (native to this are) and wraped it with deer skin. I found the small string of beads. The other 2 points I found at a site near the beach. All of this collection are from the Chumash Indians in california. The point below the knife has a long narrow point. The anthropologist at the Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History told me it was like a Swiss army knife for them, a cutting and drilling point. I have a lot of other points and tools in my collection.

Attachments

• Indian Stuff.jpg
    Indian Stuff.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 333

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice display silver fox!

GL

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
South Central, NC
Hello all. I love this area because I have always been fascinated by the Indian things around here in NC.
I live about an hour or so from Morrow Mountain and maybe 30 minutes from Ellerbe. I have found as many as 7 points in a day at one site in Foxfire NC but the site is now gone. It was a fresh construction site for a home when I was there now it's occupied with a lawn. That is where I found the "drill" and the pottery sherds. I also hunted a vacant lot in Ellerbe and found maybe a dozen things including a few tan colored points.
Now I seem to find stuff almost everywhere. One recent broken point was spotted backing out of a driveway!
Anyway, I love this site, I love this area of this site and I love this hobby.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some days are good, but most are like this...
3_2_08all.jpg

A couple broken up artifacts, maybe a rough tool or too, and if I am lucky a shed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread