36.5 KB · Views: 258
Upvote 0

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airbourne, you've found yourself two fine Quartz Halifax Co's. The smaller ones, don't look like points though,I see no flaking or anything to sudjest they are anything but rock fragments. Nice finds hon.

Molly.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 186
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 191
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Molly said:
Airborne, you've found yourself two fine Quartz Halifax Co's. The smaller ones, don't look like points though,I see no flaking or anything to sudjest they are anything but rock fragments. Nice finds hon.

Molly.

Molly.... I am glad that you pointed that out and here is why. I really think that the two dark ones (that you believe are just stones) are actually small "bird" points. I will scan a photo and post it when I have a free moment and you will see that I have over 100 of these and they are all the exact same size, the same material and were all found in this Indian Village site, along the water. They are everywhere. What are the odds of so many "stones" all shaped like points, being at an Indian village site? Let me know what you think. I wonder if this information changes your opinion at all :wink: In any event... thanks again for the response. I do value your (and everyone here) opinion.

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes take some better pics, also look for flaking, There as to be some tell-tail signs. I hope they are birdies, but, we find the same types and I've not seen any birdies without flaking or some sign that its a point hon. well lets see some more.. yep, I just zoomed in on those frags, I see no hint of them being points, But, I keep an open mind. Look forward to seeing some more.

Molly. :)

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 160
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
Airborne80

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea..... that is the thing I hate most about the material.... that's used in the small ones that are pictured here. I can tell you that 100% of them have the rear clearly tapered down and smooth.... the part that would fit into the shaft. They all are triangular (well, quite a few are diamond shaped) and have defined points. Molly, do you remember the one large Morrow Mountain that I posted back when I was a new guy? You were the one that identified it for me, and I later verified it. Well, that one is made from the exact same material as these smaller points and found in the exact same place. That Morrow Mountain has NO flaking or chipping marks at all. See my dilemma? :wink:

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it the quartz Morrow Mt, if so Quartz points don't always show knapping, just the way the material is, also the knapper, I have only one Guilford-Milky Quartz, that shows excellent knapping. So I guess quartz would be difficult to ID, so one must rely on bases,points,grinding n such. I've said this before, I find lots of rocks that look like points but are not, no flaking,no points, no bases, no grinding (if there is a base). One could end up with just lots of gravel. I have been taught by two museum guys, who have hunted & collected for many many years, they are the best Artifact collector & typologists I know. I used to be showing them rocks all the time, got frustrating to hear them say Nope, just gravel. But it taught me a lot, stick to the basic rules above & you can rest assured that you have Indian Arrowheads.

Just my opinion.

Molly.

Attachments

• mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 146
  • mammoth.gif
    mammoth.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 151

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread