ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
finnish 7.62 x 53 /4 R --M 91 /30 "tikka' T in triangle within a circle

i understand that the T in the triangle with a circle was not used before 1938 for "tikka" barrel markings --it also has the letter C on it meaning it a "C" standard bore of .3087 * very tight -- there were 3 classes A , B , and C with C the tightest bore of the 3 classes -- if the gun was "in use " in say 1939 it would have been used when finland was fighting russia on her on in the "winter war" nov 30, 1939 to march 13th ,1940 * (note germany and russia were allies at that time) -- but when hilter "flipped' and attacked russia in on june 22 1941-- finland had allied with nazi germany to kill russians (commies) from june 25th, 1941 to sept , 19th , 1944 in " the continuation war" * on the russians --after they made peace with the russians on sept 19th , 1944 the finnish people later on used these rifles from sept 19th, 1944 until april of 1945 (the wars end) to kill nazi's after finland cut a deal with the russians to drive out the nazis from finland (the lapland war *)

the tiny country of finland had by very carefully playing "politics" with the two major powers ( germany and russia) and by the fierce fighting put up by their own forces managed to stay free and indepedant and democratic during the war and afterwards.

it is not often one gets a chance to buy a rifle that was used on both of americas"great historic enemys" --nazi germany and commie russia -- these bolt action rifles are often known to be great shooters and are similar in power to a .308 or 30/06 -- i saw this above one for $112 out the door in my local pawn shop -- just waiting on my tax refund to come in to snap it up -- wife gave the ok to get her. :thumbsup: :read2:

being this gun was shipped in a crate of mostly "russian" guns -- i think it might have been a "captured" finnish made rifle taken from a finnish soldier by russian troops either in the 1939 - 1940 winter war -- or the continuation war of 1941 to 1944 * and later on post war stored in russian armory stockplies * -- rare for a captured rifle not to have it markings "messed up" but that seems to have been the case as the marking were 100% intact still --so either there was a single "captured" finnish rifle mixed in with a batch of russians (from a russian armory) or a whole lot of "captured" russians mixed in with a "single" finnish rifle from a finnish armory.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: finnish 7.62 x 53 /4 R --M 91 /30 "tikka' T in triangle within a circle

that sounds to be a sweet shooter, how are the lands and groove ?

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

barrel is a bit dark- most likely due to corrosive ammo of old being used in the past -- but barrel wear on the rifling itself looks to be very light -- the stock is of the old russian "open slots type" that uses the dog collar russian type sling fittings -- it has no sling --just a cleaning rod with it -- (its the pre 1943 type )-- stock is in good shape but is rather dark in color ( like its been rubbed down with oil many many times) and is not a glossy at all -( clearly its not a laquared type finish)

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
barrel is a bit dark- most likely due to corrosive ammo of old being used in the past -- but barrel wear on the rifling itself looks to be very light -- the stock is of the old russian "open slots type" that uses the dog collar russian type sling fittings -- it has no sling --just a cleaning rod with it -- (its the pre 1943 type )-- stock is in good shape but is rather dark in color ( like its been rubbed down with oil many many times) and is not a glossy at all -( clearly its not a laquared type finish)

clean it good, and i would get it checked by a smith to see if it is safe to fire, be careful if using berdian primed shells ( mil-surplus) as they are corrosive , i am not sure if you can get moderon type shells for it , i think seller &belite ( not spelled right) makes a non corrocive round for the 7.62 54r , well good luck and have fun with it and be safe

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

oh theres lots of (soft pint type) hunting ammo out there for it thats non corrosive and butt loads of cheap mil surp - (corrosive - just have to clean it very well after shooting it each time)

badmojoman

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

:icon_thumright: RUN.. dont walk to that pawn shop and grab that rifle before anyone else does!!!!
What you have is a one heck of a deal!!! $112 otd is a steal. Finnish Mosin Nagants demand a premium price about 2 or 3 times that much! Your lucky!
Here is a website that can tell you all about types and markings etc.
www.7.62x54r.net
Craig in Iowa

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

--the jerks at the govt said if I had my return in (E filed ) by feb 3 the e deposit would be in the bank by the 17th (2 weeks for processing )-- guess what it was not "deposited" , yep not there as of friday the 17th , so i could not get the gun as I planned to --so the gun went from the pawn shop down to the st augustine gun show * over the weekend (18 /19) where it was promptly snapped up by some lucky slob --- yes the govt said --we are so sorry but we are having "issues" process the e filed returns , it SHOULD BE in the bank by March 6th (hopefully) -gee only a mere 18 days late * if I owed money to them (the IRS) and was 18 days "late' getting it to them now much would 'they" charge me in interest & pen? --because they could not do their jobs in a timely and proper manner , I got hosed .--god I am royally pissed. :angry5:

I know I had a steal of a deal -- was just waiting on the cash to hit the bank to go get it --even had the wifes ok (and we all know how hard that can be --another gun what for?) -- I know that a good quality finnish mosin nagant 91 /30 should be in the 200 to 250 range at least -- $112 out the door was a steal -heck crappy russian 91 /30's go for that nornally ( $100 + 7 tax and 5 "call in" = 112 out the door ) -- this was a very nice condition -- "c' letterbore (,3087) finnish tikka - post 1938 made 91 / 30 -- marked with a - T inside a upside down triangle inside a circle :'( :whip2: I feel like I been horsewhipped.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
--the jerks at the govt said if I had my return in (E filed ) by feb 3 the e deposit would be in the bank by the 17th (2 weeks for processing )-- guess what it was not "deposited" , yep not there as of friday the 17th , so i could not gun the gun as I planned to --so the gun went from the pawn shop down to the st augustine gun show * over the weekend (18 /19) where it was promptly snapped up by some lucky slob --- yes the govt has said --we are so sorry but we are having "issues" it SHOULD BE in the bank by March 6th (hopefully) -gee only a mere 18 days late * if I owed money to them (the IRS) and was 18 days "late' getting it to them now much would 'they" charge me in interest & pen? --because they could not do their jobs in a timely and proper manner , I got hosed .--god I am royally pissed. :angry5:

I know I had a steal of a deal -- was just waiting on the cash to hiit the bank to go get it --even had the wifes ok -- I know that a good quality finnish mosin nagant 91 /30 should be in the 200 to 250 range at least -- $112 out the door was a steal -heck crappy russian 91 /30's go for that nornally -- this was a "c' letter bore finnish tikka made post 1938 -- T inside a upside down triangle inside a circle :'( :whip2: I feel like I been horsewhipped.

don't feel bad i don't get mine at all 7k went bye bye

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

hate owing money to uncle sugar. :tard:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
hate owing money to uncle sugar. :tard:

thats the thing i dont own uncle anything :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

huh? -- you didn't "owe" taxes and lost $7 K ? uh I'd be on someones door step demanding to know wheres my "money' / refund at then :whip2: --at least mines only late :dontknow: :icon_scratch: :help:

I know certain military folks used to get "tax defered " status when some types of income is earned in a war zone *---- from past gulf war stuff I was invovled with long ago.-- do not know if thats currently the case now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread