What's new

First Blowhole button, Knee buckle, Colonial buttons, etc.

coinman123

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2013
Messages
4,676
Reaction score
5,768
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Got out today, found my first blow hole button, a knee buckle, a couple more Colonial buttons and weird piece of brass.

My buddy found an old drawer pull and some old nails.
IMG_20150702_215755.webpIMG_20150702_215807.webpIMG_20150702_215844.webpIMG_20150702_220049.webp
 
Upvote 30
123 THATS NOT A BLOW HOLE BUTTON,THATS A DAMM NICE BLOW HOLE WITH A BUCKLE AND BUTTONS TO MATCH. UP NORTH IS WHERE ITS AT , YOU ALL ARE SO LUCKY. IS THAT A PEICE TO A COIN ??
 
Ive recently learned that blowhole buttons can go back as far as the 1600s so you may be on a early early site

very cool!!!!
 
Please educate me. Which one is blow hole and why is it called that. Please excuse the ignorance.
 
Very nice finds...some old coins may appear...keep hunting...

BLOW HOLE or VENT BUTTONS:

blow hole or vent hole buttons are a lot older than first thought . they started out as two pieces ( the back with the holes and the front smooth convex side ) the two halves are hot soldered or brazed together and the holes do let out the hot gases then the shank is brazed on. these button are found at sites dated from mid 1600's to mid 1700's as a lot are found at French and Indian war sites.
 
Very nice buckle and buttons! Congrats!

I like the brass mystery piece.
 
Nice finds.

I'm smitten by that buckle.
 
Nice finds!!
 
123 THATS NOT A BLOW HOLE BUTTON,THATS A DAMM NICE BLOW HOLE WITH A BUCKLE AND BUTTONS TO MATCH. UP NORTH IS WHERE ITS AT , YOU ALL ARE SO LUCKY. IS THAT A PEICE TO A COIN ??

Thanks, I was thrilled that I finally found a blowhole, especially one in this good condition. The brass thing looks too thin a large to be a coin, it looks like very old sheet brass, It also looks to have a perfect circle in the middle on each side.
 
Congratulations on the nice button and buckle finds. You are definitely at an old site, have fun.
 
Very nice finds...some old coins may appear...keep hunting...

BLOW HOLE or VENT BUTTONS:

blow hole or vent hole buttons are a lot older than first thought . they started out as two pieces ( the back with the holes and the front smooth convex side ) the two halves are hot soldered or brazed together and the holes do let out the hot gases then the shank is brazed on. these button are found at sites dated from mid 1600's to mid 1700's as a lot are found at French and Indian war sites.

Thanks, I'm surprised how old these buttons are compared to the other two piece buttons I find from the Mid-1800's. I found that the site was first settled in around the early 1700's by farmers, it appears that there was human activity there until the first half of the 1800's. In town records I read that there was a multi room school there in the very early 1800's that was gone within decades. It's hard to say what was there afterwords, I know that in the 1920's people used small area as a trash pile, close by to the trash pile there is an early 20th century plow, maybe some more farming? Then in the mid 20th century people used another part of the site to dump trash including a lawn mower, a bathtub, hundreds of completely rusted cone top cans, iron barrels, pieces of car, cast iron flower pots, broken beer bottles, etc. I guess that small area is off limits but this site is huge, I have never gotten close to the boundaries of this site, I fact, I have even got lost. Yesterday I found a new area at the end of the hunt, it was already 8:45 and almost completely dark in the middle of the woods. Within a little over 5 minutes I ended up finding a flat button, the knee buckle, and the piece of brass, that was where my friend found a colonial era brass drawer pull.

My knee buckle is mid-1700's to late 1700's, am I correct?
 
Last edited:
Really nice old finds.

Congrats.
 
NIce buckle.
The cast iron flower pots you mention may be very well worth lugging out of the woods ?
 
NIce buckle.
The cast iron flower pots you mention may be very well worth lugging out of the woods ?

They are 1950's and are made of that thin sheet iron, the bottoms of the have rusted away too. There are also some that are made of aluminum and say USA Pure Aluminum, or something like that. Not sure they are worth taking. I think I messed up when I said cast iron, isn't that supposed to be heavy and thick?
 
yup buckle appears to be that time frame..
 
Nice early stuff. The button and buckle are rather old so I would peel that site back one layer at a time. You may be surprised what you find bud .

Steve
 
Nice finds. I like the knee buckle. Sounds like that new area you found is the place to be.
 
Great stuff! Love the blowhole buttons and a great buckle
 
Nice buckle Coinman, great buttons too.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom