What's new

First box of pennies

Whyme

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
3,731
Reaction score
5,452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I needed a fix so I bought a box of pennies ;D First time I ever searched pennies. Here's what I found:

37
41 x2
46 x2
49d
52d
53d
55
56d x2
56
57d x3

Think I'll add a box a week to my boxes of halves, these were fun ;D
 
Upvote 0
If your gonna search lincoln cents you should keep an eye out for some of the error varieties that exist in them. Here are a few sites that list errors and tell more info. on Lincoln cents,probably more than you want to know but I figured what the heck. :)
http://koinpro.tripod.com/ErrorVarietyList.htm
http://coins.about.com/od/coinvalues/qt/memorial_errors.htm
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg032605-coins.htm
http://coins.about.com/od/famousrarecoinprofiles/a/lincoln_cents.htm (3 pages)


BTW- nice finds on the wheaties.
 
zartan7779 said:
nice finds
grats

Thanks :)

diggummup said:
If your gonna search lincoln cents you should keep an eye out for some of the error varieties that exist in them. Here are a few sites that list errors and tell more info. on Lincoln cents,probably more than you want to know but I figured what the heck. :)
http://koinpro.tripod.com/ErrorVarietyList.htm
http://coins.about.com/od/coinvalues/qt/memorial_errors.htm
http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory/signal/coins/sg032605-coins.htm
http://coins.about.com/od/famousrarecoinprofiles/a/lincoln_cents.htm (3 pages)


BTW- nice finds on the wheaties.

Thanks for the links! Lots of things to look for.
 
Whyme said:
Ack! I need to save some of my time for golf and metal detecting! How long would does it take to search a box of pennies if you're searching for ALL the errors?

If you were really searching for ALL the errors you would need to look at the front and back of each coin under magnification and konw what to look for on each....
As to how long would it take, I tried it for one box.....I think I made for about $5 worth and then gave up. Now I just pick out the date/mintmark combinations with commonly known or valuable errors and look for those.

My current list that I search for
1964 DDR
1969-S DDO
1970-S DDO
1971 DDO
1972 DDO *
1980 DDO
1983 DDR
1984 Doubled Ear *
1992 Close AM
1992-D Close AM *
1995 DDO
1995-D DDO
1998 Wide AM *
1999 Wide AM
2000 Wide AM *

* Indicates I have found at least one of the variety.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom