What's new

First buffalo nickel

Waynos

Sr. Member
Joined
May 28, 2015
Messages
266
Reaction score
721
Golden Thread
1
Location
Keene New Hampshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Propointer
Lesche Sampson T shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted an old festival field and got my first buffalo nickel!!!
Date is kinda spent but looks like 1936 or 1938
The date almost vanished after I cleaned it.

Keep in mind I'm no pro and I don't support cleaning valuable coins, but the curiosity of seeing more of the coin got the better of me lol

Here's some pics including before and after cleaning
 

Attachments

  • 2015071713503500.webp
    2015071713503500.webp
    67.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 2015071713505600.webp
    2015071713505600.webp
    41 KB · Views: 110
  • 2015071713504500.webp
    2015071713504500.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 2015071806194600.webp
    2015071806194600.webp
    33.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2015071806195600.webp
    2015071806195600.webp
    31.1 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 22
Great job. As far as the cleaning goes, there wasn't much to make that a valuable coin without cleaning some of the crap off. Once you could see it was a '36 or '38, there wasn't any great chance it was to be valuable. A good piece to satisfy your curiosity on and see what you could do with it. Now if it had turned out to be a '36D 3 1/2 Legs, you might have been kicking yourself!
 
Nice find! I have only found 3 and none have a date on them.
 
it's great to find your firsts. congrats.:thumbsup:
 
Seemed like it took me forever to find my first Buffalo nickel (6 or 7 years ) When I did I was so excited that I called friends and
family members all over the country ! I would have cleaned that one too - Nice Find .
 
HEY WAYNOS WATCHA GOT. I SEE THE BUFFALO NICKLE BUT WHAT ELSE IS IN THE BOX.
 
HEY WAYNOS WATCHA GOT. I SEE THE BUFFALO NICKLE BUT WHAT ELSE IS IN THE BOX.

Ox shoes,an old knob,a few pulltabs,bottlecaps,shredded can "canslaw" a few nails and a piece of chainlink fence
 
Try a brass brush on nickels (not war nickels). I think you'll find you can remove a lot of corrosion and save the detail.
 
Nice Buff. Last one I found was in 2013 so it has been a while. Congrats on a first, hope there are many more to come. Also, Where there are buffalo nickels there are also Mercs, standing liberties, and walkers.
 
Congrats on finding your first Buffalo :occasion14: In 14 months I have only found 1, and it was 40 miles from home at a defunct Army ammunition depot. Hope you find more in that old festival field.
 
good job on the buff, no biggie for cleaning it, it was pretty toasted and now it looks better

nice find!
 
Thanks everyone...hitting a new spot tomorrow hoping for good finds!!
 
Congratulations on the Buffalo nickel. Time to mark it off the list and start hunting for the other coins on your firsts list.
 
Congratulations on the first Buffalo! The place you are working surely has more to be recovered.
 
Congrats on your first buff, hope it' just the beginning.
 
A Buff with a date!!! Not a bad day at all. :thumbsup:
 
Hoping for a mercury dime next
I like the design on older coins
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom