Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20240305_073042.jpg
    IMG_20240305_073042.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
Upvote 31
You know it's funny. This site is supposedly the location of a revolutionary war fort that was used extensively. But the only war artifact I've found is from the Civil War. Well, we'll see what else I get.

Nice Find! Welcome to the certified Civil War relic hunter Club !
Many Colonial era Forts in Use during The Rev war /war of 1812 etc were long abandoned by the time of the Civil war. When these forts were garrisoned they were often re done, new ramparts dug, new earthworks, the place cleaned up. so a lot of older relics were likely buried under newer excavations or thrown in a trash pit. Trash pits and latrines were often outside the fortifications, thats what you want to find, so start searching the perimeter areas for some sort of depression or a small mound.

Nice Find! Welcome to the certified Civil War relic hunter Club !
Many Colonial era Forts in Use during The Rev war /war of 1812 etc were long abandoned by the time of the Civil war. When these forts were garrisoned they were often re done, new ramparts dug, new earthworks, the place cleaned up. so a lot of older relics were likely buried under newer excavations or thrown in a trash pit. Trash pits and latrines were often outside the fortifications, thats what you want to find, so start searching the perimeter areas for some sort of depression or a small mound.
My research suggests pretty much that. This was a block house that was used often during Indian raids during the 1770-80s. The owner died in the 1780s and his property fell into ruin. Around the 1840s or 50s another family bought the property off his daughter and built another house on the site of the blockhouse. I suppose one of the inhabitants of that second house was a Civil War Veteran. You know, since I know the last name of that family, and the fact that the owner of the button was in the artillery, I could probably find out what battles this button has been in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back