First Class Ring!!

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
I got permission to detect a Yard several houses down from mine yesterday. The houses in my neighborhood are from the early 1900's. The first go around yeilded some clad and one 1946S wheat, it was stormy and started to rain so I quit early. Today I slipped over there for an hour or so while my Daughter was supposed to be taking a nap with Momma. I decided to take some advice from Lonewolf and forget about the display screen and just listen to the detector. I usually dont find rings because I am so worried about foil and pulltabs but ignoring the screen and just digging signals that were repeatable in all metal mode with the bottom 2 notches discriminated out yeilded two rings and some clad in the first 10' X 20' section of lawn. One ring was a cheapy but still looks old, with the stone gone. The other one was a class ring with "HHS" on the front, a 2 on the left side and a 9 on the right side (with the "HHS" in perspective) I take this to be 1929. "10K" and "G.B.CO." stamped on the inside perimeter of the ring on opposite sides and the initials " M.GP." on the inside top of the ring. I was stoked.
Idaho PRB

Attachments

• Class Ring Front.jpg
    Class Ring Front.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 674
  • Class Ring Side #1.jpg
    Class Ring Side #1.jpg
    942 bytes · Views: 565
  • Class Ring Side #2.jpg
    Class Ring Side #2.jpg
    920 bytes · Views: 557
Upvote 0

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You said it had HHS on it. HS would be High School. The first H would be the name of the town or school, most likely town or city. Any towns starting with "H" near where you found it? Just a thought.

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
Idaho PRB said:
"I would do the research anyway. It's excellent PR for us. I doubt that the owner is still alive however, more than likely they had children. Doing this may open up more places to detect for you, and at the very least, you will make someone else very happy." Quote

Any Ideas on where to start the research to find the original owner?
Idaho PRB

Like stated in the above post I would start with "HHS" and hopefully this will get you started in the right direction. From there you would need to find out where to get either a 1929 yearbook or a list of student names from then and compare them to the initials inscribed on it. The school or library could help you with this. Then you should hopefully have a name. From there it's all about looking in the phone book like a lost relative. Sounds like a long shot, but so is digging a single hole and pulling out a ring in a field unless you have the right equipment.....right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread