First Class Ring!!

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Ace 250
I got permission to detect a Yard several houses down from mine yesterday. The houses in my neighborhood are from the early 1900's. The first go around yeilded some clad and one 1946S wheat, it was stormy and started to rain so I quit early. Today I slipped over there for an hour or so while my Daughter was supposed to be taking a nap with Momma. I decided to take some advice from Lonewolf and forget about the display screen and just listen to the detector. I usually dont find rings because I am so worried about foil and pulltabs but ignoring the screen and just digging signals that were repeatable in all metal mode with the bottom 2 notches discriminated out yeilded two rings and some clad in the first 10' X 20' section of lawn. One ring was a cheapy but still looks old, with the stone gone. The other one was a class ring with "HHS" on the front, a 2 on the left side and a 9 on the right side (with the "HHS" in perspective) I take this to be 1929. "10K" and "G.B.CO." stamped on the inside perimeter of the ring on opposite sides and the initials " M.GP." on the inside top of the ring. I was stoked.
Idaho PRB

Attachments

• Class Ring Front.jpg
    Class Ring Front.jpg
    1 KB · Views: 674
  • Class Ring Side #1.jpg
    Class Ring Side #1.jpg
    942 bytes · Views: 565
  • Class Ring Side #2.jpg
    Class Ring Side #2.jpg
    920 bytes · Views: 557
Upvote 0

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Super Find!

I learned a long time ago to use little discrimination and not to put complete trust in those meters. I dig all foil. My last great jewelry find read as a TAB.

Badger

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
Every single ring I have dug (only seven in my short detecting career) has shown up as a pulltab. I try to dig every tab signal but after a couple dozen it gets old. I wonder how many rings I have passed over cuz I was a little frustrated? I usualy dont ever dig the foil signal because it has always been a shredded can or gum wrapper. I guess I should suck it up & start diggin em, eh?

Attachments

• no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    no mo\' tabs damn it!.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 548

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Sweet find! Congrats!

When I used to hunt with an XLT, I would watch the bars on the graph. When a signal registered as junk and there was more than one bar, it was usually junk. What I watched for was junk signals with one single bar. Those were usually nickels or gold. Now that I'm hunting with a Classic IDX, it is a little tougher since it doesn't have quite the spectrographic readout that the XLT had, but I can still pick out those slightly steadier tones and slightly steadier readouts on the screen in the junk range. I still dig some junk this way, but I've found those are also the gold and nickels more often than not.

Diggincoinz

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2004
Wayne County, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 70 / Tesoro TigerShark / Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice ring! CONGRATS!

Michigan Badger said:
Super Find!

I learned a long time ago to use little discrimination and not to put complete trust in those meters. I dig all foil. My last great jewelry find read as a TAB.

Badger

Oh man! Is that the same for a Garrett machine? I'm with Mighty AP, I'd better dig them all too.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
sweeeeeet ring,, ;D ;D ;D ;D the only thing i never dig is a tab with a 26 reading on the mxt, its common in mass to pull the tab off the soda can and toss it,, those dirty rats,,,, if i miss a ring its my own fault, but some places i go are loaded with these things.. ow my back,, >:(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find!

And yeah....dig that foil too! Although I have only found one gold ring, it was down there in the foil section... :P

Congrats!

Nana ;)

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful ring, Idaho. :)

It would be great to track down who lost it. It would take some detective work, but it would be rewarding.

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I went back again and picked up a few more wheats, some early ones. Ive got them in Olive Oil right now. I'll post dates and pic's soon. I also found a "Key" on a chain. It is actually a pocket knife with one small blade. It says "CRAFTSMAN" on one side and "Your key to Quality" on the other side. I thought it was pretty cool. I still have about 40% of the yard to detect.
Idaho PRB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my Garrett 2500 all the gold rings I have found bounce back and forth between a nickel and a pull tab. The silver ones was no mistaking, they rang in loud and clear with the familiar Garrett belltone letting me know the object was silver and the size of a quarter..... usually. Also I have never found a ring deep. They have all been 4" or less. With my ACE 250 the signals are about the same except a gold ring or gold tends to show up as a nickel, but won't lock up. I recover a lot more nickels with the ACE than any other detector I have owned. But for every nickel I dig about 4 or 5 pulltabs. Maybe it's because I dig more pulltab signals when using the ACE? Anyway I posted this just to demonstrate the diference in detectors. Monty

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
Mona Lisa said:

It would be great to track down who lost it. It would take some detective work, but it would be rewarding.

If they were still alive, they would be 95 years old!!!

lambretta

Aug 21, 2003
southern maine
Nitro 54 said:
Mona Lisa said:

If they were still alive, they would be 95 years old!!!

I would do the research anyway. It's excellent PR for us. I doubt that the owner is still alive however, more than likely they had children. Doing this may open up more places to detect for you, and at the very least, you will make someone else very happy.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find, the owner could still be alive, returning it would be far more worth than the retail value of a few miserable bucks. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB

May 21, 2005
South Central Idaho
Detector(s) used
"I would do the research anyway. It's excellent PR for us. I doubt that the owner is still alive however, more than likely they had children. Doing this may open up more places to detect for you, and at the very least, you will make someone else very happy." Quote

Any Ideas on where to start the research to find the original owner?
Idaho PRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread