What's new

🏆 HONORABLE MENTION First class ring

Old Dude

Gold Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2013
Messages
8,838
Reaction score
9,870
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wayne County, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. Got out today for a short hunt. Went to a small pull off parking spot used to access an old swimming hole. This site has quite a bit of history and was once owned by the DuPont family ( yes, THAT DuPont family ). During the early coal mining days of the area, it was the site of a black powder mill. There is a very nice waterfall which creates the natural swimming hole. The site of the falls and surrounding land is posted with No Trespassing, but young partying people have gone here for many generations. Since I respect the owner's wishes, I detected one of the pull offs along a mountain road. I managed $1.66 in clad, the junk ear ring (complete with back) and my first class ring found. There are no stamps identifying the metal type unless GLELT means something? There is a personal inscription inside which I will keep secret for identifying purposes when I find the owner. Please contact me with tips and hints if you have any experience in this. I will return from vacation next week, so response may be a little later next week. Thanks for looking and HH.
juquvura.jpg
3u8yma6a.jpg
yme7e9av.jpg
amera8eh.jpg
ugamu4ed.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find! Kinda looks like a ring for winning the soccer championship unless that school is just big into soccer.
 
That's a really nice looking ring dude!
 
Thanks. I don't know about now, but in the late 70's, you got to pick the embellishments you wanted on your ring. The different sports, an eagle, the school mascot.....you get the picture. I suspect this girl may have played or maybe a romantic interest did. The other side has 2 hearts and the word "friends".
 
Nice find! Kinda looks like a ring for winning the soccer championship unless that school is just big into soccer.

when my kids graduated (2006 and 2013) the class rings were 'customizable' when you ordered them you could pick subject matters that appealed to you for the sides of the ring. great find Old Dude. hope you are able to return it
 
Nice find, I found a number of rings but no class rings yet...
 
I've returned many class rings and it's bittersweet especially when it's a huge gold men's ring but the emotional high and the happiness you bring to the person is so gratifying. I try to contact the school first and give them the year, whether it's a boys or girls, and any name or initials on the ring. I then give them my phone number. Usually within a couple days the person who lost the ring will call. Once I got a call within 15 minutes from the girls sobbing mother. She was so happy. I sometimes have trouble getting someone from the school to help me find the person so I get in touch with the firm that sells and makes the rings. If you talk to the right person, they can be very helpful. Sometimes I get someone that just doesn't care so I try a little later and usually find a person to help me. Herff Jones is the company that sells rings in many states. They usually have HJ stamped inside the ring. Good luck on the return Old Dude.
 
I have done a little research and found the maker is GoldLance. I had never heard of them, but found several jewelers within 50 miles who offer these. The name " Callie " should make it much easier to locate the owner.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Beautiful ring ! Good luck on finding the owner
Glen
 
Good luck on finding Her. That's a great find. WH
 
Beautiful ring!
 
Pretty ring! I haven't had the pleasure of finding and returning one of those yet.
 
Nices finds. Hope u can find rightfull owner ?? Looking at picture of all finds that ear ring looks to be in a good setting. Is it a real diamond ???

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Nice ring, congrats!
 
congrats.gif
on your first class ring find Old Dude!
 
Nices finds. Hope u can find rightfull owner ?? Looking at picture of all finds that ear ring looks to be in a good setting. Is it a real diamond ???

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

Thank you. I haven't tested the earring, but in my opinion, odds are greatly against the "diamond" being real. I think I put it in with my other interesting finds and not the trash, lol.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet
 
Success!!! I returned from vacation late last night and today started trying to find the owner. I called the high school office which I hoped the ring was from this morning and told them my story, described the ring( minus the inscription inside) and left my phone # with the receptionist. I got a call from a very excited young lady who described the ring without hesitation exactly including the inscription inside ( Just Love ). I made arrangements to meet her. She is a first year teacher at the very school the ring was from, so we met there this afternoon. She was so very appreciative and happy. If you ever have doubts about returning something, let me assure you, the look and gratitude more than makes up for any monetary value you might place on an object. I have made a friend for life, I am sure. Her smile in the pic says it all. BTW, see a little story in today's finds that will show you we are definitely rewarded by our good deeds!
 

Attachments

  • photo.webp
    photo.webp
    79.7 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom