What's new

First coins found in 09, A IH and a Barber

ringfinder

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,753
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Hi all, got out today in Sunny Ohio, was only 36 degrees today. Started off hunting a muddy school house site. Didn't find anything there, was just to hard to hunt. Headed for one of my old favorite spots a Ghost town. Hunted a church site that was a bean field, lot easier to walk.

My first hit was a 1881 Indian Head Penny. Then went on to find usual junk. Found a core sample, some sort of buckle, think it might be off of a horse harness some sort of metal and some sort of Brass something, not sure what it is.

Then started to head for the car and got a funny signal, but hey a signal is a signal in a field.
I dug down and turned over the mud. Saw a edge of a silver coin. It was a 1901 Barber dime, now that made my day.

I had a pretty good day, even though the ground was really hard and cold. Top layer was muddy.

Hope you all had a good day, I think this will be my last hunt for awhile, supposed to have freezing rain then turning to snow.

HH, Ringfinder
 

Attachments

  • Dennis in the Cold Field.webp
    Dennis in the Cold Field.webp
    62.3 KB · Views: 448
  • F75 and field find.webp
    F75 and field find.webp
    103.1 KB · Views: 422
  • coin in mud.webp
    coin in mud.webp
    95.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Buckle find.webp
    Buckle find.webp
    99.7 KB · Views: 448
  • Buckle, core sample, and I don\'t know.webp
    Buckle, core sample, and I don\'t know.webp
    61 KB · Views: 450
  • IH & Barber.webp
    IH & Barber.webp
    54.3 KB · Views: 446
Upvote 0
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Great finds!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Ringfinder,
Great hunt there. I like Barber dimes too. It looks like yours has a few scratches on it. I used a silver cleaning rag, from WalMart, on mine and it really cleaned up and minimized the scratches.

I think that site needs another go around when it is warmer...spring maybe now! So much land, so little time!

SKD
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Yeah I scratched it when I wiped the hard frozen dirt off of it. I have hunted this place a ton
of times, but like they say a place is never hunted out. I'm sure I will hunt it again and again!

This is the same area that my Eagle head came out of.

HH, Ringfinder
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Wow, nice finds! :thumbsup:
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Fantastic digs. WTG
:icon_pirat:
JuJu
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

juju said:
Fantastic digs. WTG
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Thanks guy, sure was cold out there today.

Ringfinder
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Cool find and congrats on the Barber and IH :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Great Finds. Great looking Barber. :thumbsup:
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Way to start the season ! :thumbsup:

According to the forecast, 36 degrees is gonna seem like Florida after this weekend. I think I'm done digging here in Chicago for a little while, but I'll sure be thinking about it. Time for research.
Mike
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Great hunt, that barber is sweet.
HH JDD
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Very nice!
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Congrats on the Indian and the Barber!!
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

mikewaz said:
Way to start the season ! :thumbsup:

According to the forecast, 36 degrees is gonna seem like Florida after this weekend. I think I'm done digging here in Chicago for a little while, but I'll sure be thinking about it. Time for research.
Mike


Know what you mean Mike, gonna get cold quick. Bad news!

Ringfinder
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

Nice that you got out, RF. Nice find on the barber. Is that an old military E-tool I see? (shouvel) Haven't seen one of those since the early 70's Ron
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

crazyjarhead said:
Nice that you got out, RF. Nice find on the barber. Is that an old military E-tool I see? (shouvel) Haven't seen one of those since the early 70's Ron

Yes Ron, it's a E-tool Shovel, I use it in Virginia all the time digging for CW relics. I started using it in Nov.
of last year and I like it so well, whenever I hunt in the field, I use it now. It's easy to carry, I use a
hammer holder on my belt to hold it to my side. I never thought I would ever use that tool, but it
sure beats a trowel in the field. Many, many guys use them at Diggin in Va. at the CW hunts.

Take care, Denny, ( Ringfinder )
 
Re: First coins found in '09, A IH and a Barber

allen said:
way to go on those nice finds...

Thanks Allen, now there is a shovel that's great for relic hunting.

HH,Ringfinder
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom