First Coinstar Find

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I am at the grocery store with my wife and as she is checking out I see a coinstar machine and thought, hmmmmm, I will be right back.
I look in the reject tray and thought, NO WAY.
I see 2 coins.
As I stealthily swoop in and grab them I ran to my wife and said, remember how I always tell you about postings on TN and some cool stuff that is found?
I held out my hand and she just laugh and couldn't believe it.
1964D Rosie and a 2007 Republic of Trinidad and Tobago 10cent coin
1E8DFA1D-110A-4CCF-8713-B130676C017B.jpeg

She, as I, was quite impressed and will be checking these more often. Especially since my ground is frozen.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems these machines don't know a good coin when they see them:)

wlb42

Dec 4, 2011
Florida
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer, Whites MX5, Bounty Hunter 3300 Discovery, Whites Coinmaster Pro, Whites Quantum 2, Whites 6000, Whites 6DB, Whites Beachcomber.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Mark.......Good Job, my friend....it is always fun to find Coinstar coins.....which reminds me of the time I found these below:

Most coins ever found at one time in a Coinstar machine at a local Wal-Mart in March 2014.....2 quarters, 4 dimes, 2 nickels and 13 cents.....All of the coins were clad except one of the dimes was a SILVER 1962-D Roosevelt dime.....IT PAYS TO CHECK!!.....why all the clad in the reject tray, I do not know.....maybe it was full...strange.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I finally got into gear doing that as well. I've yet to find silver in a coinstar, but here and there I find things - for instance a button one time.

But my best haul was 17 quarters for $4.25 - that inspired me for certain!

OP
OP
neodetectorist

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I finally got into gear doing that as well. I've yet to find silver in a coinstar, but here and there I find things - for instance a button one time.

That is just crazy!
Didn't the person dumping the coins in hear these hit the reject tray?
Great find though

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Silver - Congrats! :headbang:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Our Moderator VPNAVY (caps ?) started a running log on here of his finds, I like to watch that thread. He's found silver too!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! :occasion14:

I surely enjoy checking Coinstar machines on the way in and out of stores. :icon_thumleft:

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked our Wal Mart coinstar yesterday while my wife and kids headed to the ice cream section.
I found a Mexican coin and a penny which is good because whenever I go there I see the old lady
greeter checking the coin star and soda machines for change. I really want to get her transferred?
Anyway on my walk back to join my family I see a crumpled up bill laying on the floor in plain sight.
It turned out to be a $20. I asked the first person I saw if it was theirs and they said yes, NOT!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I just started checking the coinstar also, just to see what all the guys are talking about. My first time in standing at the machine and a lady walks up with a Ziploc full of coins. She said "what are you looking for?" and i said "old coins". She hands me a coin from her bag and said "this looks old". I could tell by the tarnish it was silver, a 1956 dime! She said I could have it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread