What's new

šŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED First Cuts of the Year

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
šŸ„‡ Charter Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2018
Messages
9,203
Reaction score
33,171
Golden Thread
0
Location
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It’s warmed up enough I fired up my rock saw. I had this nodule of Cobden Chert I thought I’d start with.
IMG_3237.webp


Well, that didn’t go to well. Mother Nature gave me a crack!
IMG_3273.webp


I found a large glacial erratic of colored quartzite last year and put it in the saw. It barely fit. I could only make a partial cut.
IMG_3245.webp


I laid it on the ground and hit it with a sledge to break the uncut segment.
IMG_3246.webp


This piece has quite a bit of color. Probably from iron content.
IMG_3247.webp


I put the smaller piece back in the saw and squared it up. It’s solid with no cracks.
IMG_3258.webp
 
It’s warmed up enough I fired up my rock saw. I had this nodule of Cobden Chert I thought I’d start with.View attachment 2251311

Well, that didn’t go to well. Mother Nature gave me a crack! View attachment 2251312

I found a large glacial erratic of colored quartzite last year and put it in the saw. It barely fit. I could only make a partial cut.View attachment 2251313

I laid it on the ground and hit it with a sledge to break the uncut segment.View attachment 2251315

This piece has quite a bit of color. Probably from iron content.View attachment 2251316

I put the smaller piece back in the saw and squared it up. It’s solid with no cracks.View attachment 2251317
How many inches can the blade cut?
Can the saw hold a larger blade or it's maxed put?
 
Upvote 0
I know you are using a wet blade but do you think heat build up caused the crack or just one of the gambles of doing a thin cut on chert? I like how smooth your cuts come out.
 
Upvote 0
How many inches can the blade cut?
Can the saw hold a larger blade or it's maxed put?
If I use every trick to reduce a large one, I can end up with a 6X6X6 piece max. It’s a 16ā€ blade, so half of that less a bit more gives you a 6ā€ max cut. The saw can only use a 16ā€ blade.
 
Upvote 0
I know you are using a wet blade but do you think heat build up caused the crack or just one of the gambles of doing a thin cut on chert? I like how smooth your cuts come out.
The saw uses oil for a coolant. There’s no heat whatsoever. The chert definitely had a crack to begin with. Cracks in all types of rocks are common when you start cutting them. Too common!
 
Upvote 0
That brown one looks like Dino bone!
This rock was formed during the Proterozoic, around 1,700 to 2100 million years ago. That’s 1.7-2.0 billion. The dinosaurs reigned from around 250-66 million years ago. So this rock was already a billion yrs old when the dinosaurs were around. It’s hard to wrap your head around those numbers.
 
Upvote 0
I cut a piece of metagranite. Another 2+ billion yr old rock.
IMG_3341.webp


This is a small piece cut off the end.
IMG_3340.webp
IMG_3345.webp


I cut it down further with my 10ā€ saw. Then I used my cabbing machine to make a small celt. I’ll drill a hole in it and make a celt pendant.
 
Upvote 0
Nice work, I've been thinking about purchasing a rock saw myself the ditches behind my house have an abundance of geodes. If you would mind what machine do you use?
 
Upvote 0
Nice work, I've been thinking about purchasing a rock saw myself the ditches behind my house have an abundance of geodes. If you would mind what machine do you use?
I have a Highland Park 16ā€. It’s a beast. It seems like which ever size you choose, it’s still not big enough!😁 I looked for a used machine but didn’t have any luck. You’d save a bunch if you could find a decent one. I’ve never cut a geode. Send me one and I’ll cut it for you.
IMG_4919.webp
IMG_4923.webp
IMG_4928.webp
 
Upvote 0
I have a Highland Park 16ā€. It’s a beast. It seems like which ever size you choose, it’s still not big enough!😁 I looked for a used machine but didn’t have any luck. You’d save a bunch if you could find a decent one. I’ve never cut a geode. Send me one and I’ll
Thanks for the information, I'll look it up
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom