What's new

First day in CRH

Vecuronium

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 25, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Weatherford, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I am new to this board but seems to be filled with plenty of quality folks. Well, my first attempt was made this week with $500 half box and $100 misc variety. The half dollar box was a skunk. The misc were all paper hand rolled which yielded the following

1 1944 nickel, (my first silver)
1 1965 DDR quarter
1 1966 DDR quarter(supposed to be rare)
1 1983 D double date/punch penney ( cant find any of that type so far)

also recieved a new metal detector for christmas that i have not used yet
 

Attachments

  • 1965ddr.webp
    1965ddr.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 1966ddr.webp
    1966ddr.webp
    36 KB · Views: 293
  • 1983dpenney.webp
    1983dpenney.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 292
Upvote 0
Welcome to the madness! Good eye for spotting those errors :icon_thumright:
 
I think you might have machine doubling on the quarters, I am not a pro but have researched this methodically. If I am wrong someone else will chime in. I have found NUMEROUS variations of machine doubling and I think they are easily deceptive. To the more trained eye they are obvious. I hope I am wrong but you might want to look into it. The Cent looks like a RPM to me, but again that is my opinion from the photos. The site that FingerGrime has posted is a great place to start for researching errors and includes many links to other great sites. HH, SE :thumbsup:
 
yes the microscope is a qx5, nice little machine. I am new to the whole coin collecting/finding hobby, so thanks for the heads up of machine doubling. Will examine the coins again tonight. Also thanks for the penny site, looks like its more a repunched mintmark, not worth much but still fun to find.
 
Cool find. I don't know the difference between machine doubling or double die, but they are still cool.
Now test out that metal detector. :headbang:


Good luck
 
The cherrypickers guides show closeup photos of the best varieties and help to identify them. For now you and anyone else should make a habit of putting aside any coin that doesn't look right. It's always better to hold something until you are certain that it is no good than to pass it by and find out later that it is valuable. It doesn't hurt to put them in a flip to protect them until you know also. Rattling around in a can or jar until you can check them will cost you a lot of money over time. good luck, siegfried schlagrule
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom