First Day Out! :-[

Dreamseakr

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2005
Southern Utah
OK, today was my first day of detecting, I was very excited and I spent way too long (6 hours) in the 110 degree desert. I found tons of tin cans 1 bit of lead pipe and an old button that says "Levi Straus and CO" (from what I can make out). I know the area to be an old silver mining town so I am hoping to return and do more hunting... those old miners must have lost some interesting things!

I know that after today, I need a pinpointer real bad.

HH Shane

Upvote 0
What DETECTOR SHANE ?

just a little ACE 150. I'm thinking that I should have shelled out $50.00 more and gone with the 250. If this is something that I really like though, I'll shell out for a real kick but detector.

Dream,

6 hours is a haul; but your learning.

A silver town, sounds interesting. That is half the enjoyment for me, the history of the place I'm working; just wondering what it was like in the past.

Hope to see in your next post that you pulled out some nice finds, they will come, just keep at it.

you and yours have a good un
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

I'm Not Familiar With Either, However The 150, Should Make a Good Starter, Shane ;

You'll Catch on With The Pinpointing.

Lay a Coin On the Ground, Preferably a Dime, & see where It's the Loudest.

Then have Someone Tape One to the Underside of a Large Piece Of Cardboard & Practice Finding it.

After that Bury a Quarter at 3" & Try That.

?GOOD LUCK & KEEP US TUNED.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Happy Hunting
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Jeff

P.S.

? IF you Bury A coin at 4 - 5 "? & don't get a Signal Don't Be Dissapointed.?

SOME Detectors Only Get Half The Depth On Freshly Buried Coins.

You didn't say but you sound like you are having a problem like I do. When I find a new site I sometimes don't know where to start! So I kinda' go at it randomly. I found that doesn't work too good. You have to pick out likely sites, like near the main entrances to the building or where the buildings once stood. Under or around old board sidewalks....where horses or buggies were hitched or cars parked. In and around old outhouses. Many early towns had a town well. Locate it and you are apt to have a pocket full of things right quick., etc. Do a little homework and see if you can figure out or find a picture or sketch of the old town. Good luck, sounds like you found a good site. JIM

Hey Dreamseakr, welcome to the forum and the hobby. It will take you some time to get used to your detector and how to use it. Pick up a couple of good books on detecting and spend some time reading them. It will help you learn a lot about how to go about things properly. Also, get your hands on back issues of W&E. You will soon find you are finding good things. Lots of Luck...Lance

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back