First day with ATPro

Kenkoehn1950

Jan 18, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT, ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure what to think... Have been using Spectrum XLT but didn't feel like I was getting the depth I wanted so I bought an AT Pro. Went to the local city park and hunted for 5 hours. Found 4 quarters, 10 dimes and 17 pennies. Started in Standard none, then went to standard coins, then notch discriminated everything less then 80. Strange thing when setting machine to discriminate everything less than 80. I kept getting an occasional audio signal in the mid range? Got a lot of high pitched signals immediately followed by a mid range signal? Gotta say I was disappointed but will keep on learning machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 3

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time. Practice and time. Set up some targets in your own yard and see how things react. Learn the machine.

It'll come, I'll bet you weren't good with the Spectrum the first time either. :)

bobby5

Jun 19, 2012
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, AT Pro, Garrett Propointer, Garrett Carrot, Several Older Garrett Detectors and a Bounty Hunter.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AtPro and have never used the standard mode, always used Pro Mode and after about a month of getting P#%^ed I Love the ATPro. Give it time and it will find what is under the coil. Good Luck

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every machine is difference..fact.

I got 3 machines...F75 / CZ 21 / SandShark......all are very different in how they respond to targets...... and each one does something a lil different than the other...just need to use it in the correct situations.

GL and HH

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's not always JUST an either or scenario when it comes to targets. One thing that I've learned about the AT-Pro is that it is very capable of seeing different objects in the same hole. Even iron AND silver!

This detector tries very hard to tell you that but we sometimes don't listen close enough.

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the new machine! Just keep logging hrs. on it and pretty soon you'll Know it inside and out :icon_thumright:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like pro coin mode, set on 10 iron descrim, if I hear a peep of a high tone I circle that target and come at it from all angles. I'm looking for coins, a mid tone could be a Indian. I set my sensitivity according to where I'm hunting, but 90% of the time I have it with two open bars.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
pro mode, zero mode, iron scrim 30, sense 3 max. You will hear the larger ron in this setting, even crowns, which is good, might as well know how much trash is in your site anyway. Pro mode is the only way to go, you get three tone audio which is awesome and you get proportional audio which you will need to learn in order to get any value out of the pro at all. Key words here, Multi tone and Proportional audio. Dont look at the screen yet. Dont use IA yet. Learn proportional audio (the volume gets less as the target gets deeper). Learn the tones.

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
pro zero mode with the sensitivity turned all the way up. I hunt every place like this. It gets a little noisy, but I like to dig. Learn your tones and you don't have to dig that much.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took me a full season to feel confident with mine. :icon_scratch: Even then I was no expert by any means... :dontknow: Maybe this year, I'll be where I want to be with it. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what to think... Have been using Spectrum XLT but didn't feel like I was getting the depth I wanted so I bought an AT Pro. Went to the local city park and hunted for 5 hours. Found 4 quarters, 10 dimes and 17 pennies. Started in Standard none, then went to standard coins, then notch discriminated everything less then 80. Strange thing when setting machine to discriminate everything less than 80. I kept getting an occasional audio signal in the mid range? Got a lot of high pitched signals immediately followed by a mid range signal? Gotta say I was disappointed but will keep on learning machine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

make sure you don't have iron audio turned on. i would go to pro mode. you'll pick it up quickly and it's much better. try zero discrim and dig everything. seriously, you'll pick it up super quick. best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread