Not the Holy Grail.....but interesting....or is it more?

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
Portland, Oregon/ I travel
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back track about 2.5 years ago...I hunted an old German homestead. I was able to find some coins, medallions and Nazi WWI and II items The home was being redone and some parts have been remodeled, torn out or completely torn down, The first was an old barn that I found the first items. Now to the present.... Part of the inner structure of the house was being worked on. The owner agreed to let us detect and look around again. After finding nothing but spiders and dead mice....we found a spot in the stair well that had a large area between the floors. From the ceiling we detected various forms of metal in this inaccessible area .. A large angled board about 8 feet long was nailed securely to this area in the stairwell. We got the crowbar and went to work. These nails had not been touched in many many years with different colors of paint on them to show for it. After about 15 minutes of really heavy prying.....it popped loose at one end. I peeked in.....Nothing.! I was /about to put the board back and I notice the X supports between the floors. I wonder???
I pull the board back some more and I see what looks like a box...... there is....... a box....like a cookie tin box. OHHHHHHHHHHH Im thinking off golden things and riches. I am able to get a hold of the box and get the lid off. Gold?
no..... but interesting things for a collector of such things.....and something very interesting to boot. Along with many .....Im going to guess....WWII medals, pins etc...there is 2 pieces of wall art. I also open up a leather holder and discover ....what I think is silver cup....that is collapsible. I have seen cheap plastic versions of these but not one like this. They only made things like this many many years ago and it is stamped "German".

There is one item.....I do not know what it is....some kind of buckle????

The owners did not know of these items or were part of the Nazis party. Someone probably hid them there because being German in this country at that time was not a popular thing to be. I later found out ....that there was a POW camp located about 10 miles away from this location. There were a few around the United States at that point in time.

The owner gave us the medals etc and wants us to check out the art to see if they are valuable. If so,,,,,they get one and we get one. Hopefully, someone one here can help us with that mystery.

Attachments

• D house medals.jpeg
    D house medals.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 197
  • german cup.JPG
    german cup.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 168
  • D house art 1.jpg
    D house art 1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 146
  • D house art 2.jpg
    D house art 2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 6

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting for you I bet, I wish I could help you ID, you should run it in the "what is it forum"
I like all these finds, sweet!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very exciting finds - the idea of discovering that secret stash is what fuels so many of our dreams ! The medals are Awesome ! I have no
knowledge to assist you - but obviously there are many here on t-net who are experts on WWII militaria , and the internet will yield a lot
of information about the particular medals - ebay might give you some sense of values associated with some of the medals . What are the
art pieces with the ladies in the last two photos ?

OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
V3i xlt dfx gmt mxt f75 Exp SE ace 150 Umax etrac goldmaster coinmaster Cz-5 Cz-3D Goldengate 3D BH 300 ctx 3030 jeohunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

davej

Jan 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The german stuff is pretty common, but has some value, my values are what I would say they are worth(been collecting a long time, what I would ask). The top row is war merit cross $25, next mothers cross (For having kids)$45, workers cap badge $15, next row political button $2, police cap badge $50, US marksman badge $10 if silver, yellow thing ? cant tell, next row, DLV stick pin $20, War merit cross 1st class w swords $75, veterans stick pin $10
Hope it helps. The buckle is from field equipment

Lcb24kt

Jan 31, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75, Blisstool, Whites TDI, Whites MXT all pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Jamesbondaka

Jamesbondaka

Mar 18, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you...you got some nice finds yourself! I would love to have a gold dollar like you found!

The german stuff is pretty common, but has some value, my values are what I would say they are worth(been collecting a long time, what I would ask). The top row is war merit cross $25, next mothers cross (For having kids)$45, workers cap badge $15, next row political button $2, police cap badge $50, US marksman badge $10 if silver, yellow thing ? cant tell, next row, DLV stick pin $20, War merit cross 1st class w swords $75, veterans stick pin $10 Hope it helps. The buckle is from field equipment
Thank you! It gives me some information to go by as I dont know much about this sort of thing.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread