First detector - concentric or DD?

bkricks

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I spent the last several days with a friend's old Bounty Hunter detector with a 10" concentric coil and truly enjoyed it. Was inspired after digging up a civil war era wagon wheel in my back yard, but the wheel axle is >1 foot deep in a flood plain and I could not detect it with his machine, though I found ample cans, nails, foil, etc. from likely the 1940s - 1960s at about 4-7" deep. I have a feeling there is older stuff, but I'm not able to detect it as depth is certainly greater. While my budget is unlikely to find anything at the 12"+ depth range, I would like as much depth as possible on a reliable unit.

I'm in Virginia and found that anytime the bounty hunter touched the ground, it would go off, so minerlization interference is an issue. Based on research, I'm leaning heavily towards the Fisher F22, but see that it is available with the 9" concentric coil, or with a 11" DD coil for $50 extra. Seems a very well reviewed unit and I like the weather resistance. Which coil should I go for? What I have read seems to point me towards the DD for reliability of sweeps, mineralization control, and good depth.

Or should I be looking at a different unit altogether? Would like to spend as little as possible for depth and reliability on my property but for general uses anywhere else including beaches. Other features I would like include headphone jack, portability, reliable depth indication and discrimination.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
I prefer double d. Better separation and it does handle mineralization better. Any of the big name brands are good, you won't go wrong with fisher, teknetics, whites, etc. They all have good machines.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would take a hard look at the Tesoro Outlaw. It comes with three coils, runs at 10.6kHz is going to hit hard on deep silver. Good luck! :occasion14:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer the DD; but it is what I first had on a "good" detector. I have a concentric but usually rely on DD coils.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well someone has to do it. I much prefer the concentric coils, especially for pinpointing and discrimination. However, you'll find stuff with either.
luvsdux

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one you have and know best is best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions