First ever U.S. Large Cent! but in tough shape...

TheLittleMan

Aug 6, 2020
MN
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
117A54BC-E911-4094-B2C8-9513A1E79DF6.jpeg
REVERSE
7FD4B9AE-B370-49AA-9425-8916FA439F8F.jpeg
OBVERSE

I found this today, and I’m showing the reverse side first, because that’s where I can see the “RICA” at about 4:00-5:00 and hints at the wreath. The obverse has nothing to show.

It’s been holed, And there’s rust coming through. The corrosion is topical and rusty, so I wonder if you have any thoughts about how to get that crap off there so I can potentially see a bust outline or maybe even a date? It’s pretty useless as is, so I’m not afraid of damaging it by cleaning. Just very curious!

This is my first largie!! And you wouldn’t believe where I found it...in an Indiana park built in the 70s, but in an area where they had recently laid sod. Now I just need to find out from where they sourced their sod!

Upvote 15

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first large cent! I still remember how excited I was to find mine. You could try bathing it in some hot peroxide first. If that doesn't work you could put it in some ketchup over night to try and cut through the crud, but don't expect miracles. Once you get the crud off, bathing it in hot peroxide will darken it if need be. Good luck.

Last edited:

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big congrats on finding your first Large Cent !

A lot of people have had good luck by soaking an encrusted coin like yours in Olive Oil.
This is a very safe way to clean a copper coin but it usually takes a long time - up to a few months.
Just pull the coin out of the oil once every week or two and knock the loose crud off with a tooth pick and or toothbrush and put it back in.

Electrolysis will remove all of the crud in 15 to 30 minutes but if it has a lot of green patina (verdigris) on it - you can loose some or all of the detail on the coin.

Good Luck !

Plazz58

Jul 23, 2020
Yonkers NY
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find I didn't know there was larg cents...lol all I find is small ones ......most of them are real small as all the zinc has been disappearing ...lol
real nice find congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Large Cent. I hope you can pull some detail off of it. If not, just enjoy it.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first Large Cent!
I remember mine like it was yesterday.
It was toast as well but after a Hot Hydrogen Peroxide bath I was able to make out the type and date range at least.
Good Luck with the cleanup! :thumbsup:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bucket Lister for Me!!! Congrats!!!

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the LC found my 1st one last week it was barely readable but I'm thrilled with it.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big congratulations on your first LC. It's such a great feeling to see one at the bottom of your hole. Hope there are many more to come.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice 1st old copper find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big Congrats for your first LC- a great feat, regardless of condition!

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on that big copper. As for cleaning it............... I’ve ruined a few so never mind, listen to the other guys

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread