First ever U.S. Large Cent!

sibbley

Mar 18, 2023
Nazareth, PA
Detector(s) used
Dr. Otek MT-XR, Ace Apex, Xterra Pro, Nokta Legend, Nokta Makro Impact, Manticore, XP ORX, XP Deus 2 WS6 Master, Deeptech Vista X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been really excited about hitting my corn field permission. I've been waiting since May to get into the field and see what I might find. A bit of background: This particular field has been part of a farm since at least 1850 (shown on the maps I could find). The home associated with the farm was a 2-story log structure built sometime in the late 1700's.

I know a woman that grew up on the farm and I met her there this morning. She showed me pictures of the house and outbuildings and we walked the field where the outbuildings and barn used to stand. From the pictures, the log structure was huge. Five bedrooms, two kitchens, and two large living rooms. At one time two generations lived in the house. I don't remember the house being that large. I only know it from driving past years ago before it was torn down.

Once she left, I decided to start swinging right behind where the house back porch was, now part of the corn field. I hadn't even made a full swing with the Impact when I passed over a 90 signal. It repeated two ways and showed one inch deep. I thought for sure it was going to be more can slaw. I was at this permission yesterday and only found trash. As I lifted the ground a bent round object fell from the clump of dirt in my hand. I picked it up and couldn't believe my eyes. I could see the wreath on the reverse.

The picture I immediately texted my wife.

signal-2023-11-12-12-15-24-891_WM.jpg

Once I got home, I began cleaning it up. I've identified it as an 1822 Coronet Head. In order to see the date I needed to slightly clip a piece bent over from the plow. The first picture shows the date. I needed to use two lights to get it in the picture.

P1001114_WM.jpgP1001115_WM.jpgP1001116_WM.jpg

I can't wait to get back into that field on Tuesday.

Thanks for looking...

Upvote 19
Nice work pulling that LC. Good luck on further hunts. Gotta be more in there.

I've been really excited about hitting my corn field permission. I've been waiting since May to get into the field and see what I might find. A bit of background: This particular field has been part of a farm since at least 1850 (shown on the maps I could find). The home associated with the farm was a 2-story log structure built sometime in the late 1700's.

I know a woman that grew up on the farm and I met her there this morning. She showed me pictures of the house and outbuildings and we walked the field where the outbuildings and barn used to stand. From the pictures, the log structure was huge. Five bedrooms, two kitchens, and two large living rooms. At one time two generations lived in the house. I don't remember the house being that large. I only know it from driving past years ago before it was torn down.

Once she left, I decided to start swinging right behind where the house back porch was, now part of the corn field. I hadn't even made a full swing with the Impact when I passed over a 90 signal. It repeated two ways and showed one inch deep. I thought for sure it was going to be more can slaw. I was at this permission yesterday and only found trash. As I lifted the ground a bent round object fell from the clump of dirt in my hand. I picked it up and couldn't believe my eyes. I could see the wreath on the reverse.

View attachment 2114855

Once I got home, I began cleaning it up. I've identified it as an 1822 Coronet Head. In order to see the date I needed to slightly clip a piece bent over from the plow. The first picture shows the date. I needed to use two lights to get it in the picture.

View attachment 2114852View attachment 2114853View attachment 2114854

Thanks for looking...
Well done

Very cool find, but ouch!
I think I would have opted for annealing it and flattening out rather than clipping it.
Either way though, congrats

Always great to be able to knock one off the bucket list- Congrats! Here's hoping there are more bucket-listers waiting there for you- GL!!

View attachment 2114855

Thanks for looking...
Congratulations on your first Largie

Congratulations on your first LC.
It sure seen a lot of action.
Leave it as it is in its own beautiful way.
Best of luck, where there is one, more are to be found.

View attachment 2114855

Thanks for looking...
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Thanks everyone. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back