First find, first what is it?

Semag93

Feb 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Canada

First real find: Went to a local park and found a 1922 six pence

Also found some sort of a seal that says "Patent No27198 . 1909" It seems to be made of aluminum
Any thoughts on what this could be?

DSC01726.JPG

Thanks

Paul

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a button to me but I don't know how big it is.

Upvote 0

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds- nice sixpence. The other is the back part of a two-part button. The face of the button (often domed) would most often be covered with material to either match or contrast with the garment it was being sewn to. The material would fold into the domed face which then snapped onto the back- which was sewn on where required. Very handy for dress makers- not sure how old? HH

yelnif

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

Semag93

Feb 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I understand, that makes sense

Thanks for the quick response

Paul

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When you've got an unknown object's Patent number (or exact date, such as Oct. 20, 1897), you can do Patent-research to learn what the object is.

Your button-like object is marked "Patent No. 27198 - 1909", so it is not a US patent. It is a British/UK patent.

I've done a lot of (successful) US patent researching on the internet, at websites like www.pat2pdf.org. But I've never tried to do that with a British/UK patent. Perhaps one of the British or UK folks in this forum can point you to a website for researching British/UK patents. If you find the patent for your button-like object, please tell us what it says.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread