Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been years since I went metal detecting folks. Me and my brother used to do it big time in the late 70's and early 80's He passed away in 1993 and I just gave up doing it without him. Well my wife got me a Bounty Hunter for my birthday and I took it out in the woods in our backyard yesterday and got a good signal. I passed over a ton of junk metal pings and then this one signal kept hitting all the way up. So I started pin pointing it and digging around. At first I thought it was some old jar lid but then out came a pocket watch. Man it's been years since that old feeling has been around. I sure have missed it. The watch turned out to be Hong Kong junk but I still like it. Now I got the fever again!
IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2085.JPG IMG_2084.JPG

Upvote 34

cavdetect

Feb 18, 2013
Mt. Laurel, NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pointer 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome, welcome back to the joy of unearthing the past!

OP
OP
D

Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a White 5000/D in the early 80's My brother had the 6000 DI Pro great machines just heavy and took skill to set up the ground on them.

OP
OP
D

Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was great! No one really bothered you back then when they seen you detecting and was easy to get permission to hunt on peoples land. I don't think back then they knew just how good those big clunky detectors were.
Awesome find! Glad you're back into the swing of things I do have a question though...

Preview

Happy Hunting!
-H

OP
OP
D

Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At first I started to pass it up and not dig I kept thinking it might be junk from when the house was built in the 90's and then I thought why not see what it is? Just a good feeling only us metal detecting nuts understand.
That must have been a moment full of emotion digging that pocket watch. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope to see more finds in the future. Welcome back

Steve

OP
OP
D

Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my brother was 14 years older than me so he got more time in it then I did in the 70's and 80's it was like a treat when he took me with him. He got deep into it as I was in my teens then. He used to be in some clubs and had connections with some crazy folks here and there. One was called Wild Mans here in Kennesaw Ga on main street. Some people liked him others thought he was a nut. I never had any problems with him I thought he was a cool old guy. My brother ended up putting together this scrap book of maps he used. And in the back was permission slips he had ready to sign for people that would give him permission. He would do his research and with no internet back then this put him in the library or ordering books he found advertised in the back of those old metal detecting magazines. He would pull up and knock on a door and show the property owner his book and how he had tracked a battle in the area and wanted to ask for permission to use his metal detector on their property. It worked people never told him no that I know of. When he died he had a five gallon bucket half full of bullets and a box full of other relics. His widow got it all when he passed away. I remember his goal was a Confederate belt buckle he wanted one so bad. And he found one I was not with him when he found it but I got to see it. Not long after that he sold it to someone my guess would be Wild Mans. Silver? Yea he had a few silver dollars he was very proud of. I had a few dimes but never a dollar.
Welcome back Dirtrelic ! I would love to hear some of your stories of finds you guys made back in the 70's 80's -
Must have been a lot of silvers on some of those hunts !

Last edited:

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Nice find your first day out! :hello2: I like the design even though it's not gold. :hello2: I've had no problem finding gold & silver with my Bounty Hunter & feel sure you'll enjoy it's light weight & your finds. So glad you and your brother enjoyed those precious years together. Andi

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome back! You will always have brothers in detecting here. Will be looking to see more of what you find.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually,I hunted with the Whites 6000 DI Pro for many many years and it was the first machine that I owned which could be deeper and more accurate.And lots of OLD silver was found using it.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find, cheap Honk Kong or not, I love pocet watches and very high on my wish list. With all those great times with your brother I think every time you swing the coil you do honor to the memories you have with him. Good luck on your revived hobby.

OP
OP
D

Dirtrelic

Greenie
Sep 23, 2015
Cartersville Ga
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know he loved his. I never used it but he knew just how to set up and get it going. He got it for $100.00 used at a place called Peachtree Salvage that used to be in Smyrna Ga at Belmont Hills. The meter was busted but at that time it was only a year or so old. He called Whites and ordered a new one for like $10.00 and replaced it. Yea I know to much useless information here. Just got nothing better to do today :)
Actually,I hunted with the Whites 6000 DI Pro for many many years and it was the first machine that I owned which could be deeper and more accurate.And lots of OLD silver was found using it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread