First Find With The Minelab Equinox 800

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From a colonial site here in the Shenandoah Valley. I'm thinking maybe a British Hat Badge, but not sure. Any thoughts? Unfortunately, I lost it right after I dug it. I think I can find it when I go back.

bhb1.JPG bhb2.JPG

Attachments

• bhb1.JPG
    bhb1.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 24
OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Went back to the site. Grid the whole area, then raked it with a wide/fan yard rake just to be sure I didn't miss sweeping with the detector. Didn't find it. Walked the 200 yard lane (twice) leading to the site just in case I'd laid it on the bumper of my truck. Didn't find it. Was really bummed. The thought kept coming back to me: "I KNOW I put that relic in my pants pocket - I KNOW I did!" That pair of muddy pants was still in my truck so for the umpteenth time, I went through all 4 deep patch pockets. Nothing. Then I decided to "squeeze" each pocket trying to "feel" if the relic was somehow still in there.

And there it was! The pockets on these pants have Velcro on them with a smaller, outside pocket on top of the patch pocket. That's where I'd put it! As dumb as I feel, I'm very pleased to have it back!

bhb2.jpg

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site. Grid the whole area, then raked it with a wide/fan yard rake just to be sure I didn't miss sweeping with the detector. Didn't find it. Walked the 200 yard lane (twice) leading to the site just in case I'd laid it on the bumper of my truck. Didn't find it. Was really bummed. The thought kept coming back to me: "I KNOW I put that relic in my pants pocket - I KNOW I did!" That pair of muddy pants was still in my truck so for the umpteenth time, I went through all 4 deep patch pockets. Nothing. Then I decided to "squeeze" each pocket trying to "feel" if the relic was somehow still in there.

And there it was! The pockets on these pants have Velcro on them with a smaller, outside pocket on top of the patch pocket. That's where I'd put it! As dumb as I feel, I'm very pleased to have it back!

View attachment 1579457
First off - great relic and I'm glad you "re-found" it. Hope you can find the rest of it and other Rev War related relics nearby. I have a similar story of a lost relic that I "re-found". I had just unearthed a 1784 Spanish half real that had been made into a cuff link, then re-used as a coin. You could see the nubs where the shank had been soldered on were worn smooth. Well I dug it, looked at it, and then went to slip it into a little zip lock baggie, but I dropped it too early and it didn't go into the baggie. I thought, no problem, I'll find it again with my metal detector. Well I scanned the area where I was standing and nothing. Started ranging out, still nothing. I'm really starting to panic now. I ended up skimming the dirt off a 6'x6' area thinking it might have fallen in a crevice in the field, still nothing. Then I noticed that the right pocket on my cargo pants, which was full of iron junk was gaping open. Stuck my hand in, and felt around, but didn't feel it. Chalked it up to lost and started detecting again. After a while I decided to check the pocket again, but this time I took everything out. And there it was in the pocket!

OP
OP
Valley Ranger

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off - great relic and I'm glad you "re-found" it. Hope you can find the rest of it and other Rev War related relics nearby. I have a similar story of a lost relic that I "re-found". I had just unearthed a 1784 Spanish half real that had been made into a cuff link, then re-used as a coin. You could see the nubs where the shank had been soldered on were worn smooth. Well I dug it, looked at it, and then went to slip it into a little zip lock baggie, but I dropped it too early and it didn't go into the baggie. I thought, no problem, I'll find it again with my metal detector. Well I scanned the area where I was standing and nothing. Started ranging out, still nothing. I'm really starting to panic now. I ended up skimming the dirt off a 6'x6' area thinking it might have fallen in a crevice in the field, still nothing. Then I noticed that the right pocket on my cargo pants, which was full of iron junk was gaping open. Stuck my hand in, and felt around, but didn't feel it. Chalked it up to lost and started detecting again. After a while I decided to check the pocket again, but this time I took everything out. And there it was in the pocket!

Steve - yes, it's a really sick feeling, isn't it? As hard as we work for relics, it makes it all the worse when we lose a great find! Glad you found yours as well!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread